Stars Around My Scars

hogwarts au, sixth year

Hermione wiped her eyes. Her heart and head hurt. She didn't understand how Ron could be so rude to her. Every single word that came out of his mouth cut her deeper, and broke off another piece of her soul.

Hermione felt as if she were breaking. If she heard one more word, she'd shatter and she didn't know if she could put herself back together.

She felt so alone. Ron hurt her. Harry stayed silent. She refused to talk to Ginny about it because that was her brother. Nor Fred and George even though they were kind enough to offer to kick Ron's arse.

Hermione heard something shatter. She turned around, and heard it again. It came from the boy's restroom.

Hermione hesitantly walked over to the door, and opened it. She saw Draco Malfoy sitting in a puddle of red, broken glass, and broken pieces of the sink. He was crying.

The door creaked and Draco's head turned in her direction.

"Granger, what the fuck are you doing here?" Draco snapped.

Hermione stuttered. "I-I heard something break when I was walking p-past. I didn't mean to intrude."

Draco ran his hands over his face and was silent.

"Are you...okay?" Hermione asked.

Draco looked like he'd been slapped across the face. "Do I look okay to you?"

Hermione walked into the bathroom, and lightly shut the door. "Not really."

"I can't believe I'm telling you this, but you've been the only person to ask me if I was okay this whole year." Draco confessed, meeting Hermione's gaze. Tears slowly slid down his cheeks.

Hermione sat down next to him. "So, are you okay?"

Draco buried his head in his hands. "No."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Draco was silent for a few minutes. "Have you ever felt your decisions being ripped from you? Like you have no control over your life? Like no matter what you do, it's never enough for somebody?"

"Yes," she whispered.

"Granger, I don't want to be what I am. I want to be who I want to be, and have the choice." He rolled up his bloody sleeve, and showed Hermione his mark.

Hermione swallowed a gasp. There was a Dark Mark on Draco's wrist. But it was bloody and the piece of skin was dangling off his arm.

"I tried to cut it off. But it became too much and I gave up. The mirror and the sinks suffered from my anger."

"And your fist." Hermione took Draco's hand into her own, and examined his bloody knuckles.

Draco took his hand out of Hermione's grasp. "Why do you seem to care about me? Granger, I'm awful to you."

"Sometimes, when you can't make your own decisions in life, you're cruel to the people who can."

Draco sighed and closed his eyes, resting his head against the wall.

"Draco, would you like to go to the hospital wing?"

Draco's lips twitched. "I've never heard you say my name before. It sounds...different. Like I could be a good person. Like...I'm not the person I am. Not a Death Eater or a Malfoy."

"You are a good person, Draco. It seems like you haven't made good choices because those choices haven't been made for you."

"The only reason I have this Mark is because if I refused, the Dark Lord would've killed my mother. And she's the last person living who believes I'm a good person."