Chapter eight

The police ran inside the house to check on Mary. She was still bleeding on the floor. "What the-" said one of the officers. "Get this woman to a hospital now!" He yelled. Peter ran to the phone and called the emergency services. An ambulance was being sent to their address. Mary slowly opened her eyes and was groaning in pain and beginning to cry. Alyssa was holding her hand as tight as possible to help her through the pain.

Eventually the ambulance came racing down the road and into their driveway behind Mary's parked car. She was carried into the ambulance on a stretcher by the medics and Peter got in with her. "Stay here and I'll update you as soon as I can" he said to Alyssa as she watched them drive off. As she closed the door she turned around with her back thudding against it. She slowly slid down it and began to cry. Cameron came back down the stairs to hug Alyssa. She was running her hands through her hair like she was losing her mind. Cameron hugged her tightly. She was crying uncontrollably and Cameron didn't let go. "It's gonna be okay" he whispered. She looked at him with tear trails on her cheeks. "Is it?" She replied. She stood up. "Nothing is alright. Not one bit. I'm surrounded by bad luck Cameron! First my dad now my mum. I swear to god if she dies I don't think I'll cope" Cameron watched Alyssa pacing up and down the hall. "Why does everyone keep looking at me like that?!" She asked still crying. "Like what?" asked Cameron. "Like I'm fucking insane. I didn't even touch my dad. He hurt me and Peter and mum tried to kill him! I just can't- I don't even-" Alyssa was pacing in circles and had her hands on the sides of her head. She dropped to her knees and cried so much she had a nose bleed. Cameron ran to her and helped her onto her feet. "Then.. maybe we should sort out the whole situation.." said Cameron. "Alyssa stopped crying. "Sort what out?" She asked. "You didn't do anything. We could go to the police and tell them what happened with Peter. He's the one who committed the murder" suggested Cameron. Alyssa was left speechless. "We helped cover up the murder. We'd all go down" she told him. "They wouldn't have to know that part" he replied. Alyssa took it into consideration. She just wanted it to end. "I- I need to think about it" she replied. That's when the phone rang. She quickly picked it up. "Mum was pregnant! She had a miscarriage. She's going to be okay but she's lost a lot of blood" spoke Peter. Alyssa showed a shocked expression. "Pregnant?! I need to see her Peter!" She replied shouting through the phone. "I know. I've called for a taxi to take you to the hospital. I'll pay when you get here" he said. She smiled. "Thank you Peter" she replied and hung up the phone. "I'm coming with you!" Shouted Cameron. "They have no clue you were even here Cameron. I'm sorry but I can't let you come" she told him as she gave him a kiss. He nodded his head in understanding and grabbed his coat. Alyssa put her shoes on and took a jacket. They both waited for the taxi outside.

At the hospital Peter was sat with Mary. "I can't believe you were pregnant. Why didn't you say anything?" He asked Mary. She smiled weakly. "Because too much was going on at the time" she replied. Peter sighed. "I'm gonna go meet Alyssa and grab a snack from the vending machine" he said. Mary nodded and Peter got out of his chair and left to go meet Alyssa outside the hospital doors.

That's when Mary heard footsteps coming into her room. "Back already?" She laughed weakly. It wasn't Peter. She turned her head and saw Leslie slowly trot into her hospital Mary. She had woken from her coma. She stared at Mary for a solid five minutes before she spoke.

Outside the hospital, the taxi had pulled up and Peter paid the driver. Alyssa got out the taxi and gave Peter a hug. "How could I possibly send him away?" She thought to herself. Peter showed her inside and took her to the room Mary was in but they made a stop at the vending machines. Alyssa pressed for a chocolate bar but it got stuck. Peter got his elbow and jabbed it into the machine and the chocolate bar fell down. "Pure muscles" he flexed. Alyssa laughed and got the chocolate bar. They both headed back to Mary's room.

Meanwhile Leslie entered Mary's room. "You..." Mary said scared for her freedom. "Hello dear. What happened to you?" She asked in a kind manner. "Miscarriage. Leslie listen about what was said.." Leslie looked confused. "I'm sorry dear I can't say I know you" said Leslie as she gave Mary a smile. "The doctors have told me I woke up from a coma, but there's been a problem with my memory. Amnesia they said" Leslie smiled again. It was like she was the complete opposite of who she used to be to be. Maybe her being hit by a car was a good thing. "Oh I'm sorry to hear that I hope you get better soon" said Mary, acting as if she had no clue who Leslie was. Leslie smiled and left Mary's room slowly. Alyssa and Peter stopped in their tracks, seeing Leslie leave Mary's room. They ran straight to Mary's room to check on her. "Before you say anything, she has amnesia from the coma and doesn't remember a thing" said Mary. Alyssa and Peter let out a sigh of relief. Alyssa bent down to give Mary a hug at an awkward angle. She let out another sigh of relief knowing she was okay. That's when the doors to the hospital were swung wide open. The receptionist stood up. "Hey!!" She shouted at them. Then she saw their uniform and piped back down. "What room is Mary Ford in?" Asked the first officer. "One moment" replied the receptionist as she typed at lightning speed once again. "Sorry but there's no Mary Ford on here" she said. "We were told she had been taken in to this hospital" replied the officer. "I document all the patients sir and I have not had a Mary Ford. Why would I lie?" She asked. The officer grunted. "Who's the most recent emergency that came in?" Asked the officer on the left. "That would be Dorothy smith. She's just had a miscarriage so please don't bombard her with questions" said the receptionist. The officer nodded and made his way to the room he was told. "This isn't who we are looking for. Why are we going to Dorothy's room?" Asked one of the officers. "Because I have a hunch" replied the other officer. He reached Dorothy's room and inside was Mary, Peter and Alyssa. "I knew it" said the officer.