Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Half an hour later, I trembled as I stared at the two double-blue lines. It was positive. I was pregnant. I carried the child of a man I didn't even know. Nausea clawed at my stomach as I suddenly felt lightheaded. This was a nightmare. It couldn't be true.

"Hey... Bri."

"You were right. Oh my God. What will I do? " I cried.

"It's not the end of the world, ok?"

"Are you serious? My life was already a wreck before and now I'm having a child. I don't even know who the man I slept with is."

"We'll find out. I'll ask someone who was at the party."

"And then what? I'll go to look for him and tell him he got me pregnant." I covered my face and cried.

"Briana, everything will be ok. I promise. You'll see, you're having a child. It's a wonderful thing."

"It would have been if I was married and had a man by my side," I shouted. "What did I do? My God, how could I be so stupid?" I despaired.

"It's useless to cry now. You'll get through this! And I'm sure one day you'll find a man who will love you and your child."

I knew Pam was trying to encourage me, but right now, all I could think of was that my life was finished.

The first few weeks were the worst of my life. I was constantly feeling sick, especially in the morning.I tried to hide it as I didn't want anyone to know, but eventually, the truth had to come out, especially with Leo. In the past days, he had looked at me with suspicion. I felt terrible at the idea of losing my job. How will I cope? No one would employ a pregnant woman.

I had just left the bathroom when Leo came into the office. He looked furious this morning. I hoped he wasn't angry at me because I couldn't deal with him right now. He exhaled and inhaled many times before sitting down behind his desk. I remained silent, gazing at the report he had given me a few hours before.

"Briana!"

There, now he'll explode with me. I thought as I glanced at him.

"Are you ok?" He asked so softly I thought I was dreaming.

"Yes," I murmured.

"Here, take this, it will make you feel better." Saying that he handed me a packet of crackers. I gazed at him, stunned. He knew. How? I didn't tell him. Only Pam knew I was pregnant. Had she told him? How could she? She promised not to do it. I would have told him myself when I felt ready.

"Don't look at me like that. I noticed you during the last few weeks. You gained weight and you're always sick. You're pregnant, right?"

I gazed down and closed my eyes. This was the end. I knew how he was about work. He wants efficiency; he doesn't tolerate mistakes, and he'll fire me. Just the thought of losing my job made me even more nauseous.

"I'm sorry... I know I should have told you... I-" I didn't know how to justify myself. I stood up abruptly.

"Hey, calm down. I'm not mad at you." He said, grabbing my hand in his. I shivered at the touch and I hated myself for it. After all, he did to me. How could I still feel that way about him?

"No?"

"No Briana, I'm just worried. You're not well."

"I'm trying hard, ok. This won't affect my job, I promise."

"Oh, I'm not worried about that. Leaving you didn't affect the job, and it must have been a blow for you."

I snatched my hand away from him.