Chapter 1

The sun had long since dipped below the horizon, casting the rooftop in a blanket of darkness illuminated only by the soft glow of the stars above. As I sat on the edge of the school rooftop, the gentle breeze whispered secrets to me, and the distant hum of the city below provided a comforting backdrop to my thoughts.

My fingers absentmindedly strummed the strings of my pink guitar, the instrument that had become my closest confidant. I let the melodies flow freely, allowing them to carry away the weight of the day.

Music was my refuge, my sanctuary in a world filled with expectations and judgments. Here on the rooftop, high above the chaos of everyday life, I could let go of all my worries and just be myself.

"You're here again, Maggie. Anong oras na ah?" Kaagad akong lumingon sa bandang likuran ko. It's Liliana, my best friend. Hawak niya ang strap ng gitara sa kanang kamay niya. Unlike me, she loves performing and showing her talent in front of people. Balita ko rin ay isa siya sa kasama sa papalapit na battle of the bands kaya hindi nakakapagtakang lagi niyang dala ang electric guitar niya.

I smiled at her. "Tambay lang, mamaya pa sundo ko e. Ikaw? Hindi ka pa uuwi?"

She pointed the door behind her. "Katatapos lang practice e. Napadaan lang ako, nakita ko kasing may tao, ikaw pala."

Tumango ako sa kanya bilang pagsang ayon. Hindi na siya nagtagal at nagpa alam na rin umuwi. Saglit ko pang tinitigan ang pintong dinaanan niya bago binalik ang atensiyon sa tanawing na sa harapan ko.

The encounter with the mysterious boy on the rooftop lingered in my mind for days, like a melody that refuses to fade away. His words of encouragement had ignited a spark within me, a glimmer of hope amidst the sea of doubts that had consumed me for so long.

But as the days turned into weeks, that spark began to flicker, threatened by the relentless onslaught of doubt and fear. What if he was just being polite? What if my music wasn't as good as he thought? What if I was setting myself up for failure?

The memory sent a shiver down my spine, a mix of excitement and apprehension swirling in my stomach. I had spent the rest of the day replaying the encounter in my mind, unable to shake the feeling that it meant something. Was it just a chance encounter, or was it fate intervening in my life? The thought both thrilled and terrified me.

I found myself retreating back into the safety of solitude, seeking solace on the rooftop where no one could see or hear me. It was easier to hide behind closed doors than to face the possibility of rejection.

But try as I might, I couldn't shake the memory of his smile, the genuine interest in his eyes as he listened to me play. It was as if he saw something in me that I couldn't see in myself - a glimmer of potential waiting to be unleashed.

With a sigh, I strummed my guitar, the familiar chords soothing the ache in my heart. The familiar melodies weaving through the night air. With each note, I tried to push aside my doubts and fears, focusing instead on the music and the solace it brought me. Music had always been my refuge, my safe haven in a world filled with uncertainty. And yet, it was also my greatest source of fear - a constant reminder of everything I longed for but could never seem to grasp.

But try as I might, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered in the back of my mind. What if that guy praise had been nothing more than a passing compliment? What if he had already forgotten about me, lost in the whirlwind of his own life?

The thought made me pause mid-strum, my fingers hovering over the strings. Was I just fooling myself, clinging to the hope that someone like him could see something special in me?