Chapter 25

As time passed, I began to realize that stepping away from the band wasn't the end of my journey – it was just the beginning of a new chapter. I threw myself into my studies with renewed determination, finding solace in the familiar rhythm of academia.

Yet, the memories of my time with Ethereal Echoes lingered, a bittersweet reminder of what once was. I followed their progress from a distance, unable to completely detach myself from the music that had shaped so much of my life.

Occasionally, I would catch a snippet of their latest performance online, a pang of nostalgia washing over me as I listened to the familiar melodies. But with each passing day, the pain lessened, replaced by a sense of acceptance and gratitude for the memories we had shared.

As graduation approached, I found myself looking towards the future with renewed optimism. My time with the band may have come to an end, but the lessons I had learned and the friendships I had forged would stay with me forever.

And who knows? Maybe one day our paths would cross again, and we would reminisce about the good old days, laughing at the twists and turns life had thrown our way.

But for now, I was content to focus on the journey ahead, knowing that wherever life took me, the music would always be there, guiding me along the way.

As the months went by, I couldn't shake off the feeling of being replaced by Liliana. It seemed like everywhere I turned, her presence loomed large, a constant reminder of what I had lost. But I tried my best to push those thoughts aside, focusing on my studies and the new opportunities that awaited me.

One day, as I was walking across campus, I heard someone calling my name. I turned around to see Liliana striding towards me, a smug smile playing on her lips. My heart sank, knowing that this encounter wouldn't end well.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the former bandmate," she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Still drowning in textbooks, I see."

I forced a polite smile, trying to keep my composure. "What brings you here?"

She chuckled, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "Oh, you know, just thought I'd check in on my favorite dropout. How's life treating you without the band?"

Her words cut deep, but I refused to let her see how much they affected me. "Life's been good, thank you," I replied, keeping my tone neutral. "And how about you? Enjoying your newfound fame?"

Liliana laughed, a sound that grated on my nerves. "Oh, you have no idea," she said, flashing me a smug grin. "The band's been doing better than ever since you left. Turns out, they didn't need dead weight holding them back."

I felt my temper flaring, but I bit back the retort that threatened to spill from my lips. I wouldn't stoop to her level.

Instead, I plastered on a fake smile. "I'm glad to hear it. It must be nice to finally have someone who can keep up with Zavier."

Liliana's expression faltered for a moment before she recovered, her eyes narrowing in annoyance. "Oh, please. Zavier and I are a perfect match, both on and off stage. But I suppose you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

Her words stung, but I refused to show any weakness. "I'm happy for you both," I said, my voice steady. "But if you'll excuse me, I have places to be."

With that, I turned on my heel and walked away, leaving Liliana behind. As I made my way through the campus, her mocking laughter echoed in my ears, a bitter reminder of the rift that had formed between us.

But despite her taunts, I refused to let her get to me. I had made my peace with the past, and I wouldn't let anyone – especially not Liliana – bring me down.