Chapter 21

The days following our confessions were a tangled mess of awkwardness and unspoken words. Every glance we shared seemed to carry a weight, as if the air between us was charged with something fragile and new. Zavier and I, once so natural and at ease in each other’s company, now stumbled through conversations, our usual laughter replaced by stilted silences. We had always been close, our friendship a steady presence in both our lives, but now, every interaction felt like walking on a tightrope, teetering between what was and what could be.

“Akala ko ba nagka aminan na kayo?” Casper asked as he drink his favorite soda.

Nagkibit balikat ako. Zavier's busy fixing our schedule. Bahagyang nakalislis ang nga manggas ng suot niyang lose t-shirt dahilan para bumalandra ang matipuni niyang mga braso.

“Dahan-dahan sa pagtingin baka matunaw si Z.” Aki laughed. Kaagad ko siyang binigyan ng masamang tingin.

“Lapitan mo na hiya ka pa e.” Icarus slightly pushed my shoulder. Ang gagaling talaga nilang mang asar. Mabuti na lang sanay na ako sa mga ugali nila.

“Asan ba si Simon?” Pag iiba ko ng usapan.

“Ay nako patay kang bata ka! Bakit ibang lalaki hinahanap mo?” Si Casper na sadyang nilakasannang boses para marinig ni Zavier. He looked at us peromas nagtagal ang tingin niya sa akin bago binalik ang atensiyon sa ginagawa.

“Na sa Zambales,” Aki answered my question.

Hindi na lang muli ako nagtanong at nanahimik na lang.

It was on one such afternoon, with the sun casting long shadows across the garden, that Zavier approached me. I was sitting under the old oak tree, a book resting forgotten in my lap. May isa pa kasi akong subject na kailangan kong pasukan.

The warm summer breeze rustled the leaves above, creating a soft symphony that usually calmed my restless mind. Today, however, my thoughts were anything but calm, drifting over the memory of him. The way he had looked at me, the vulnerability in his eyes, had left me both exhilarated and uncertain.

“Maggie?” His voice was tentative, almost hesitant. I looked up, meeting his eyes, my heart fluttering in response to the uncertainty I saw there.

“Yes?” I tried to keep my tone light, but I could feel the tension thrumming in the space between us. His presence was both a comfort and a source of my turmoil, the familiarity of his face now laced with new meanings and possibilities.

He took a deep breath, as if steeling himself for what he was about to say. “May I sit?” he asked, gesturing to the patch of grass beside me.

I nodded, unable to trust my voice, and he settled down, his presence a comforting weight at my side. For a moment, we both simply sat there, the silence between us speaking volumes. The garden, usually a place of solace, now felt like a stage set for a pivotal moment in our lives. I could hear the distant chirping of birds, the rustle of leaves, but all of it seemed muted compared to the anticipation building within me.

Finally, he turned to me, his expression earnest. “Maggie,” he began, and I could see the determination in his eyes, “these past few days… they’ve been difficult. I don’t want this awkwardness to come between us. Baka isipin mo pinapaasa lang kita.”

I nodded again, my throat tight with emotion. “Neither do I, Zavier.” My voice was barely above a whisper, the words carrying the weight of my hopes and fears.

He reached out, his hand hovering just above mine, and I felt a shiver of anticipation run through me. His hesitation was palpable, as if he was weighing the significance of this small gesture. “I've been thinking about this lately and uh...” He slightly tilted his head as if he can't process the thoughts in his mind. “What I’m trying to say is… may I court you, Maggie? Properly, with all the respect and affection you deserve?”