Chapter 24

I had poured every ounce of energy into my studies, convinced that if I just worked hard enough, I could finally turn things around. The textbooks became my constant companions, and the library felt more like home than anywhere else. But with each exam, each assignment, I missed more and more of our band’s performances. Zavier and the others tried to be understanding, telling me it was okay, that they could manage without me. I hated the guilt that live inside me, the feeling that I was letting everyone down.

After weeks of intense studying, I decided to surprise my band mates at one of our gigs. I wanted to show them I still cared, that I was still part of the team. As I slipped into the venue, the familiar buzz of excitement and anticipation filled the air. I moved backstage, ready to join them on stage, my heart pounding with a mix of anxiety and excitement.

Magugulat kaya sila? Alam kong matagal tagal na simula noong maging kompleto kami. Miss ko na silang lahat.

But then, as I was about to step out, I froze. There, under the spotlight, was Liliana, whom I hadn’t seen in years. She looked confident and radiant, effortlessly commanding the stage. And then she began to sing. Our song. The one Zavier and I had written together.

Bakit siya nandito? Is she a guest?

I felt a lump rise in my throat as I watched Liliana perform with Zavier. They harmonized perfectly, their voices blending in a way that felt both familiar and painfully new. It was like watching a dream I was no longer part of. My legs felt heavy, rooted to the spot as I struggled to process what I was seeing.

Seeing Zavier and Liliana together like that brought back a flood of memories, and how Zavier had been there every step of the way. Now, it felt like they both happy without me, they found a way to keep the dream alive while I was drowning in my attempts to fix my failures.

As the song ended and the crowd erupted in applause, I felt a pang of loss so sharp it was almost physical. I realized in that moment that while I had been trying to salvage one part of my life, another part had slipped away, replaced by someone who seemed to fit perfectly where I no longer did.

I turned and left the venue quietly, the cheers and music fading behind me. My mind was a whirlwind of emotions – sadness, anger, betrayal. But above all, I felt an overwhelming sense of isolation. The life I had known, the dreams I had cherished, now seemed like distant echoes of a past that no longer belonged to me.

When I got home, I felt numb, unable to process everything I had just seen. I collapsed onto my bed and reached for my phone, mindlessly scrolling through my social media feeds. Notifications were flooding in – tags, mentions, messages. I hesitated, my finger hovering over the screen before I finally gave in and tapped on one of the posts.

The band's performance was trending as always, with videos and photos of Zavier and Liliana dominating my feed. They looked amazing together, their chemistry undeniable. The captions and comments told the same story. Fans were thrilled with the new dynamic.

"Wow, Liliana's voice is incredible! She fits right in with the band!"

“Sino si Liliana? Bakit wala na si Marguerite?”

"Marguerite was good, but Liliana brings something special. This is the best they've ever sounded!"

“Hiwalay na ba si Z at Maggie? ‘Wag naman!!! T^T"

"I didn't realize how much the band needed a change until now. Honestly, Liliana is a perfect addition."

Each comment felt like a dagger, cutting deeper into the wound I was already nursing. My mind raced with conflicting emotions – jealousy, anger, sadness. It wasn't just that Liliana had replaced me on stage; it was that she seemed to be better at it than I ever was. The fans were embracing her, celebrating her, while I was quickly becoming a forgotten piece of the band's history.