Chapter 31

As I scrolled through my social media feed one evening, a post caught my eye—a statement from the Ethereal Echoes band announcing their upcoming hiatus after their world tour. My heart sank as I read through the reasons cited, including tensions within the group and dissatisfaction among fans, particularly regarding Liliana's attitude.

The comments section was a whirlwind of emotions, with fans expressing disappointment, frustration, and even anger at the news. Many mentioned me by name, pleading for me to intervene, to do something to salvage the situation.

For a moment, I felt the weight of their expectations pressing down on me, the familiar tug of guilt and responsibility. But then, with a deep breath, I reminded myself of the boundaries I had set for myself, the decision I had made to focus on my own well-being and my own journey.

I closed the app, setting my phone aside, and turned my attention back to the project I had been working on—a new song that had been brewing in my mind for weeks. Music had always been my refuge, my sanctuary in times of turmoil, and now more than ever, I needed to lose myself in its embrace.

As I poured my heart and soul into the melody, the outside world faded away, replaced by a sense of peace and purpose. The noise of the fans' demands, the pressure of public scrutiny—they all seemed distant and insignificant in comparison to the pure joy of creation.

Hours passed in a blur, until finally, I sat back, the song complete, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips. In that moment, I knew I had made the right choice—to prioritize my own happiness and well-being, to follow my own path, regardless of the expectations of others.

As the sun dipped low on the horizon, casting long shadows across my living room, a sudden knock echoed through the silence. Surprised by the late hour, I approached the door cautiously, my heart pounding with anticipation.

Opening it, I was met with a sight that sent my pulse skyrocketing. Standing on my doorstep, dressed in a clever disguise that barely concealed his identity, was Zavier. His eyes, a stormy mix of determination and uncertainty, locked onto mine with an intensity that made my breath catch in my throat.

"Zavier?" I gasped, my voice barely above a whisper. "What are you doing here?"

He gave me a tight-lipped smile, the brim of his hat pulled low over his eyes. "We need to talk, Maggie," he said, his tone urgent. "It couldn't wait."

With a mixture of trepidation and curiosity, I stepped aside, allowing him to enter. As he made his way into the living room, the tension crackled between us like electricity, a silent reminder of the unresolved issues that lay heavy on our hearts.

"What's going on, Zavier?" I asked, my voice trembling with emotion.

He took a deep breath, his gaze never leaving mine. "I know you heard about what happened with the band," he began, his words slow and measured. "About Liliana losing her job because of you."

My heart sank at the mention of Liliana, a bitter reminder of the rift that had torn us apart. "I don't know what you're saying. It wasn't just because of me," I protested, my voice tinged with frustration. "Liliana's behavior was already causing problems long before I entered the picture."

Zavier's expression darkened, his jaw tightening with anger. "That's not how she sees it," he snapped, his voice laced with bitterness. "She blames you for everything, Maggie. For stealing the spotlight, for stealing her fans."

I felt a surge of indignation rise within me. "I didn't steal anything from her," I insisted, my voice rising with every word. "I worked hard to earn the support of those fans, just like she did. And if she lost her job, it's because of her own actions, not because of me."