S2-48✩ Dame of Hanoi (Part 2)

(A/N: Warning! This chapter might trigger anxiety.

...but since you guys like Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS, you should be fine... :D)

------

"I said stop, didn't I?!"

As Windy coughed, he conjured a screen in front of Revolver's face which stopped him from declaring his finishing move. On that screen, two helper robots in the half size of a full-grown adult now stood in front of Mirai, blocking her way out in place of Windy's green creature. Windy's raspy laugh echoed once again while he threatened the startled boy, "Do you see those robots, Revolver? You may have equipped her with the technology to protect herself, but I bet it will have little to no effect on bots with physical bodies like--!"

He was cut off when he witnessed yet another action that he failed to predict: Mirai suddenly hurled her shoes at the heads of those robots, knocking them off balance, then used the opening she created to run away as fast as she could. Upon seeing her spontaneous act, the audience cheered her on excitedly while the flabbergasted Windy hurriedly yelled out an order, "A-After her! Don't let her get away!"

With that command, three more helper robots came out of the building and went after Mirai who not even once looked back as she picked up her speed. By the looks of it she wasn't planning to return to Café Nagi's truck and take shelter there, and Playmaker quickly realized that was because she wanted to protect their base. She ran towards the park that had no CCTVs installed instead to get rid of Windy's surveillance on her, but while doing that might be the best course of action now to help her brother, for Windy her move was way too predictable. He already had another robot awaiting her up ahead to ambush her. His plan to stop her worked when she was startled by the robot's sudden appearance, that made her recoil and fall back with a yelp. As her pursuer robots gathered around her, she sat there while clutching her ankle, as her sudden stopping apparently had sprained it. Seeing her groaning in pain, Revolver gasped involuntarily. "Mirai--!"

"Ahaha, hah!" Windy arrogantly cried out, finally having his laugh upon seeing the change in Revolver's facial expression. "She could have just stayed back there, but she decided to run away and look at what has become of her now! She hurt herself because of her bad judgment! That's the difference between us and you humans; your free will is flawed, whereas we will always make the right decision thanks to our unlimited information bank. You foolish humans are no match to us--!"

"Shut up!" Playmaker angrily shouted, making Windy turn to him in displeasure and meet his eye with his furious glare. "Even with your so-called unlimited information bank, nobody knows what will happen in the future. That's why humanity's potential is limitless; no matter what the future holds, we'll keep making our decisions, standing proud, and moving forward... just like Mirai!"

As Playmaker declared, they could see the girl he mentioned, while panting, slowly rise to her feet and display her fearless glare for them once again. Unlike the others who felt relieved, when he saw her eyes, Revolver shuddered. He thought he was seeing a deja vu but one second later he realized it wasn't a deja vu that he was seeing, but his actual memory of Playmaker's undying spirit that he showed off during their last duel. Mirai had exactly the same gaze as him from that time, much to his surprise, it made him ponder. If he remembered correctly, his arrogant self's reaction to Playmaker's challenging gaze back then was--

"Revolver! If you're worried Windy will harm your sister, rest assured! He can't do that!" Flame's sudden shout snapped him out of his trance and made him glance at him. "It's because we Ignis made a promise to never hurt Kogami Mirai!"

Upon hearing that, Revolver's eyes narrowed at Flame in displeasure. He recalled the night he brought him along to the Knights of Hanoi's headquarters. At that time, when he asked whether he knew something about Mirai that he didn't know, Flame told him that he only knew the name of her parents and he never mentioned anything about making a promise with the Ignis. Just like that time, Revolver responded with a sharp glare. "FIRE Ignis... I knew it; you were lying to me. And you're only telling me that now?"