III| Tails, Tells, and Tales

Warning! Heavy Graphic depictions of violence, mentions of trauma, mentions of death
<>

  Trust is difficult to grasp.

  Especially if you're a critical thinker who finds it hard to decide whether or not they should do this or that.

  Or perhaps it’s because you’re afraid of what may entail you after giving away your trust.

  There’s people who still find it hard to believe what lies right before their eyes.

  Kai Smith isn’t exactly that kind of person. I mean, really. This guy is sometimes-not-mostly-yes-admittedly head over heels in love with a thief.

  This moment, however, after having lived most of his life believing that he and his sister are the last of them still being hunted by their closest kind, he can’t swallow in the sight of realistic-looking dozens of merfolk tails glimmering and waving at his face.

  He’s completely paralyzed on the spot, too shocked to finish comprehending what the universe is slapping him with as he stills by the door with a mouth agape. He’s staring at them with his golden ambers, and they’re all staring at him too, just with a less mental ride than his.

  The merfolk start murmuring to each other, probably about their awakened bloodhood. Kai moves his gaze away from them and starts taking in his whereabouts.

  Mountainous corals of different shades of colours encircle around each other, reaching all the way up to the rocks that seem to serve as the whole city’s ceiling.

  On these fine corals there are rooms stacked ontop of each other, with beautiful stained glass windows and doors, and colourful plants that decorated the buildings elegantly and complimented the colours of the area.

  Are they in a cave? It appears to be, as the whole place is enclosed with the earth. It’s like they’re inside a bubble. The city is also lit up with phosphorescent glowing stones placed almost everywhere, and from the light seeping out from inside the buildings.

  Right across from Kai there’s a big circle of space where there are younger merfolks watching him. One of them holds a ball as they’re sitting on a large rock, he’s beaming a bright smile at Kai like he’s a unicorn or something. Two of them are also staring at him wide eyed, though they look more surprised than happy to be seeing a new face.

  There's merfolks alive, like him.

  There's merfolks younger than him.

  Kai may or may not have forgotten how to breathe right at this moment.

  “You’re awake!”

  The brunet flinches upon seeing another soul looking up at him with a kind smile on her face, brown hair curled to snuggle her rosy cheeks, and tail shaded with muted rose colour. More importantly… Kai looks down at her belly. She’s with a child. He swears he never sensed her before.

  “H-hi,” he barely squeaked.

  “My name is Roise, your caretaker. Don’t worry, you’re safe now.” The pregnant mer’s smile turns into a grin. “You’re safe in Ignacia City where we merfolks live!”

  There’s so many tails.

  There’s so many tails, fins, and scales.

  It's what Kai could mostly think of as the people with tails, fins, and scales crowd around him.