Chapter 93: Deceit

Naomi had never flown alone before, but all her firsts had been exciting. Anticipation outweighed regret or fear for her. She was going to learn art from someone renowned in the field. She could only be happier if Kieran had agreed to be with her.

But he had said maybe, in a roundabout way.

That little bit of hope kept Naomi going, pushing forward to her unknown future. It was the first time she wondered what might happen going forward, and it was the first time the future gave her butterflies.

Naomi wheeled her luggage toward the check-in line, trying her best not to look over her shoulder in expectation for Kieran seeing her off. He wouldn't come. He had made that abundantly clear. But it would have been nice, if he would have said goodbye properly.

There were only two people in line in front of her when it happened.

"Naomi!" came the cry, but it wasn't Kieran's voice.

Naomi turned halfway, shooting her best sideways glare at Oliver, who was running in her direction. He looked pale and haggard, but Naomi was past caring what he did on his own time. They had never been more than acquaintances, anyway.

"Naomi, you've got to come with me," Oliver gasped, leaning on his knees to catch his breath.

Naomi shook her head at him. Overdramatic, much? "I have a plane to catch."

Oliver reached out to snag Naomi's arm in his hand. "It's Ms. Rowe! It's your mom."

"What about her?" Naomi asked cautiously.

"Come with me. I'll tell you in the car."

Oliver and Ms. Rowe had spent plenty of time lying to her. Most everything that came out of their mouths had been lies. But this didn't feel the same. Oliver wasn't composed and in charge. He was falling apart, almost begging. Either he had switched all his tactics, or there was actually something going on.

Naomi shook out of Oliver's hold. "No, tell me now. What's going on? Why do you look like this?"

Oliver stood up, finally able to breathe apparently, and scrubbed a hand through his hair. "She collapsed, okay?! She's on the way to the hospital, but it isn't looking good."

"What?"

Naomi didn't like her mom sometimes, but she loved her. Because Ms. Rowe, at the end of the day, was her mother. They had gone through the good and the bad together.

"Hey, are you going to move forward?" The person behind Naomi asked.

"Oh. Go ahead." Naomi ducked out of the line. At the very least, she needed to finish the conversation with Oliver. "What do you mean she collapsed?"

"I don't know. Apparently she was at work and then she just... dropped. I don't know all the details, just what I've been told by the inner circle."

The "inner circle" referred to the elite families that Ms. Rowe found it acceptable to be around. If they had told Oliver about it, Naomi believed them. They were all about stock prices and public opinion. Ms. Rowe's collapse would affect both.

"My flight..." Naomi shot a look toward security. She had almost been through, almost taken a step toward her dream.

Oliver grabbed her wrist, just firm enough to draw her attention back to him. "If need be, you can use my family's private jet later. This seems serious. I think you should go to your mom."

Naomi hated accepting a favor from Oliver Bettencourt, but he had a point. She would regret it forever if something terrible happened to her mother and she didn't visit.