Chapter 5

Hello! This chapter is continuing on the story. I started with Clove's POV and ended with Cato's POV.

Cloves POV:

"Attention students! Next week at 4:30 P.M. sharp we will be holding a school wide assembly in the A6 gymnasium. The 74th annual Hunger Games will take place in June with the annual reaping ceremony on the 3rd. Next week we will announce the trainee pair who will volunteer for this years Hunger Games. Your attendance, mandatory ," Headmaster Hart's voice booms through the overhead speakers.

Cato and I have been practicing sparring. We got distracted by the announcement and decided to take a break. I sat down on the bench, grabbing my water bottle and wiping the sweat off my forehead with a towel. Cato sits down next to me.

"Wouldn't it be crazy if we got chosen," Cato wondered aloud.

"It would," I agreed, setting down my water bottle and standing up.

"I know we aren't going to get chosen for a while, but wouldn't it be crazy," He responds.

"Cato, I already said that it would be crazy," I reply hotly, starting to stretch.

"I know, but the hunger games," He's in his own world.

"Why are you so caught up on this," I ask. Did he know something I didn't?

"Clover," He started to say, and I stared at him, he hadn't called me that in the longest time. "Clove, did they not tell you?"

I'm confused now "Tell me what!?" I asked, not caring that I raised my voice.

"We might get chosen!" Cato yells.

"What?!"

"Jackie told me! Headmaster Hart is considering having us volunteer this year," Jackie was one of our trainers.

"What!" How come she didn't tell me?

"I thought for sure she had told you," Cato says, reading my thoughts.

"He wants us to go into the games?" I question.

"Wouldn't it be awesome, going into the games younger than expected,"

"What if we die," I say, thinking of the worst.

"We're not going to die," Cato says confidently.

"One of us will," I say, starting to make my way back to the training gear.

Cato's POV:

Clove's right, both of us can't make it out of the arena. I want to win, of course, but I don't want to have to kill one of my friends. That just means I'll have to let someone else kill her, so I can be the victor.

After training I walk into the boys locker room. I head to the showers, get undressed, scan my badge, and step into the steaming hot water. I sigh. I love taking hot showers after an exhausting workout. I only get 6 minutes in the shower since I'm 16. 10-15 get 5 minutes in the shower, anyone younger than 10 is not allowed to shower in the public showers. You must scan your badge and then you get the amount of shower time based on your age. 16 gets 6 minutes, 17 gets 7 and 18 gets 8.

I step out of the shower and dry off. Once I'm dry I wrap my towel around myself and walk over to my locker.

"Hey Cato!" My friend, Ian, calls from across the room.

"Hi Ian," I say, punching in the code and opening up my locker door.

"How was practice with that physcopath," Ian asks, making his way over to where I stand.

"What?" I say, more than a little confused.

"You know, that little murderer girl who will for sure be chosen for the games in a few years," Ian says, starting to open his own locker.

"Clove?" I ask "What did she do?"

"She tried to kill you, with the knife," Ian reply's taking off his workout shirt and changing into a new clean t-shirt.

"Who told you that?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"Olivia Langely," He says "Dude, that girl is crazy hot."

"Clover?" I say absentmindedly.

"Clover?," He mimics " No, I ment Olivia. Wait, are you catching feelings for the murder girl?" He's grinning like the Cheshire cat.

"She's not he murder girl," I say deffensivly, closing my locker and turning away so Ian can't see me blush. I did not like Clove, could I? I had just been thinking earlier about how I could get her killed without having to kill her, but now I was blushing like an idiot at the sound of her name.

"Cato and Clover," he sings "Sitting In a tree."

"Shut up," I say, starting to change into my work clothes.

"K-I-S-S-I-N-G," Ian continues.

"You sound like a 1st grader," I growl.

"Won't Miss Langely be mad when I tell her that her precious Cato is thinking about other girls," Ian is one of those guys who won't shut up. He was perfectly nice but sometimes he was just so annoying and persistent that I snapped.

"Shut the fuck up!" I yell, storming out of the locker room. I rarely cursed, but I was annoyed with Ian. I also had only slept 2 hours last night so that hadn't helped. I was tired, overworked, and pissed, and on top of all of that I had to go work 6 hours at a bar full of drunken adults and hard partying teenagers.

I arrive at the bar at 5:02 o'clock. Mrs. Levine, the owner of the bar, sees me and tells me i'm late.

"I'm not late," I say.

"Yes you are," She replies, already wiping the bar.

"By 2 minutes," I retort.

"That's still late," Mrs. Levine says, leaving to go and yell at some other employees. I like Mrs. Levine, shes nice and always follows rules, which I like about her. The only time I've ever seen her break a rule is when she hired me, she knew I was under 21 and still let me have the job. She also knew I really needed the job, she also knew about my mom.

I was embarrassed about my mom. I hadn't told anyone at school since I was scared what they would think. The only people that knew about the great Mrs. Hadley's downfall, Where my siblings, me and Mrs. Levine. 

Thank you for reading (: please vote or comment and read the next chapter.