Chapter 9

Enjoy this chapter 

Cato's POV:

I'm laying in my bed staring at the ceiling. I finally got all three of my siblings asleep, but now I'm wide awake. I still don't know why I came to Clove's house.

As I'm thinking this, the door to the room I'm staying in creaks open. "Hey," Clove's whispered voice calls out. "You awake?"

"Yeah," I whisper back.

"Want a bowl of ice-cream?" I don't know what I thought she would say, but that was definitely not it.

"Sure,"

And the next thing I know i'm at a big fancy table with a bowl of vanilla bean ice-cream sitting next to Clove Kentwell.

"Do you mind me asking why you're here?" she said, once we'd been sitting there awhile. I look down at my ice-cream bowl, and then up at her.

"I meant what I said earlier," I say, then I tell her all about how my mom stopped caring for us when my dad died. Clove listens to my story, then we're quiet.

"I'm sorry about your dad," Clove says, neither of us are eating the ice-cream anymore.

"It's fine," I respond.

"No, It's not. I've never lost a parent but I know it sucks," She pushes a strand of hair out of her face.

"He wasn't really that great of a guy," I say, feeling tears prick at the back of my eyes.

"I'm sure he was," Clove responds.

"No," I say "He wasn't." I feel a tear fall down my face. Clove stops asking questions. After a few minutes she stands up.

"I'll take the bowls to the kitchen," she says, starting to grab the bowl. "You go upstairs."

I don't argue since I'm secretly exhausted.

Once I get to the hallway, I see my door on the left and Cloves door on the right. Her door is slightly open and I can see her bed, about a hundred decorative pillows thrown on the ground. I smile and then make my way to the door on my right.

I open the door and peer inside. It's a huge room with a bed in the center and a vanity off to the side that looks like it's never been used. Next to the bed is a nightstand, one of the doors is partly open, I peek inside and see a stack of pictures lying there.

I pick up the pictures and start to flip through them. I look through all of the pictures, family portraits, pictures of Clove's many academic and athletic achievements.

"Hey," I hear a voice ring out. "What are you doing?" she doesn't sound mad, but she doesn't sound happy either.

"I'm sorry," I say, as I stuff the pictures back into the drawer where they belong.

"It's fine," she says back, though her voice says differently. I stand up to leave but Clove stops me.

"Why did you come here?" She asks "I mean I get I'm super rich, but i never really thought you liked me that much."

"I like you a lot," I say before I can stop myself. Oh Shit. What did I just say. Clove turns bright red and i'm positive my face looks the same. "I mean I... should go," I say.

"You don't have to leave," She says "I mean If you want to you can, of course. But.. I just thought maybe... you'd want to talk to somebody or... maybe you just want to go to sleep but..," She says but I cut her off

"I'd love to have someone to talk to," I say, and then I start sobbing. I don't know what did it, Clove's sad brown eyes looking up at me, the thought of my siblings orphaned, knowing my moms at home with no one there drowning in alcohol.

Clove lets me cry, she closes the space between us in 2 steps and wraps her arms around my torso. I let her. I know I shouldn't. I know that it's not a good idea to befriend your district partner. I know I shouldn't have come to clove's house tonight but now I'm here and there's no going back. 

I'm sooooo sorry it took me so long to update this story, but know that I'm on spring break I'll definatly be updating it more. As always, thanks for reading and feel free to comment vote or anything like that. Also main charecters belong to Suzanne Collins (: