Chapter 19

Cato's POV:

We were actually in the capitol. I had always wanted to go to the capitol, and know that we were actually there, I couldn't believe it. Although I couldn't stop thinking about that little girl, Rue. She was the same age as my sister, and she was going into the hunger games.

I didn't have much time to think about it though because as soon as we stepped of the train, cameras were everywhere. Once we got off the train platform, Clove and I were led into different rooms.

I sat awkwardly on a hospital bed, waiting for my team of stylists, as Cece had called them, to come and style us for the ceremony tonight. Each year all the tributes get dressed and dolled up only to be rolled into a huge stadium on gold chariots. This ceremony is supposed to introduce the capitol to the tributes, and it does its job pretty well. Most of your sponsors are based on things like this ceremony, your interview and training score.

After maybe five minutes, my team came in, carrying boxes and tray of tools and gadgets.

"You must be cato," A women with bright pink hair and gold tattoos all over her face and neck said.

"My, my what a pretty boy," I winced as another women poked at my face.

"He still needs lots of work," The 3rd guy said, in his thick Capitol accent.

The next few hours were filled with shampoo, different soaps and perfumes, thousands of ways to remove hair, and yes, even makeup.

"I think he's ready for Merritt don't you?" Pink hair asked.

"Yes I think your right," said the boy.

"I'll go get him," said the other girl leaving the room.

"Ok Cato," The guy said. "Merritt, your main stylist, will be here to discuss clothing options with you." I nodded, not really understanding what he meant.

The team left, leaving me once again sitting there alone. Merritt was there quicker than the team had been though.

"Hello Cato," He said. He had silvery gray hair pulled up in an elaborate hairstyle, his makeup wasn't anything special, but he was wearing a bright purple suit, the pants were yellow, with a checkered pattern running down the sides. He held a bag in one hand, its star pattern making my eyes hurt. "I'm Merritt, your stylist."

"Hi,"

"I wanted to show you this," Merritt reached for something in his bag, and pulled out a shiny gold gladiator's helmet. I must have looked confused because Merritt quickly explained that that wasn't my whole costume. "Your full costume is in here," He opened a closet door that I hadn't even known was there. Inside was some sort of golden battle armor that matched perfectly with the helmet.

"I want you to try this on,"

"Ok," I said, standing up and slowly walking towards the closet. I reached out to touch the armor, the metal felt cold underneath my hand.

"I think this will be a perfect outfit for you," Merritt informed him. "Your partner Clove has a slightly more feminine version of this exact outfit." I thought about Clove wearing the outfit I saw before me. I bet she would look pretty badass.

Cece came in a few minutes after I had gotten changed.

"You look wonderful Cato! The capitol is going to love you!" Cece remarked. "Now we must get you down to the stables, the opening ceremonies are about to start!" Cece lead me to and elevator, where Enoboria, Brutus and Clove were already standing.

She looked even more beautiful than I had imagined. Her hair held up in an elaborate hairstyle, her makeup done just perfectly.

"Hey," She said, as we all walked onto the elevator.

"Hey," I said back, not sure what else to say. "You look nice," I whispered to her. We were standing at the back of the elevator where I'm pretty positive no one could hear us.

Clove scoffed. "Thanks."

Clove's POV:

I had never been more nervous than I was now. We were about to be presented to the capitol, this very moment might determine the rest of my life. If I didn't make a good impression, I wouldn't get any sponsors, and that would make it ten times harder to win. Sponsors were half the reason most victors won, you had to be likeable.

Also, Cato was standing incredibly close to me, and he looked way more handsome than I'd like to admit.

We made it down to the stables quicker than most. There were a few kids there, The district 8's and the district 6's, but that was it. There were twelve different chariots, each drawn by two horses. Cato and I made our way over to the one with the big two on the side. "Okay," Enobaria says. "The opening ceremonies are pretty easy, scowl, wave and look deadly." Okay, I could do that.

"And don't hold hands," Brutus said. "Some kids did that a few years back and they got almost no sponsors. You guys are ruthless and deadly, not lovey dovey teenagers." I felt myself blush, and Cato was bright red.

More kids started to arrive, each one in a crazier costume than the next, finally the kids from twelve came in, dressed in nothing but black. I guess their stylist was going for the coal thing again. Finally a man standing at the front of the stables, tells us it's time to line up. Cato and I step up into the chariot, our hands awkwardly hovering right next to each other. The other kids get into their chariots, and the stable hands direct the horses into a line, each chariot in numerical order.

District one is in front of us, I can see their pink frilly outfits, they're almost worse than ours. All of a sudden, the doors to the stables open, and the horses start walking, district one goes out first, quickly followed by us.

The stable had been dim and the sun feels like it's attacking me as we rode into the stadium. The crowd is huge and super loud. I raise my hand up waving it at the many capitol people, I try to keep my face evil looking. All of a sudden theres a collective gasp from the crowd and it takes everything in me not to turn and look at what they're gasping about. Instead, I look up at the huge monitors, and what I see shocks me.

The kids from district twelve are on fire. I mean actual fire is streaming off of there black costumes. The two of them grab hands and thrust them into the air, the crowd goes wild. Cato grumbles beside me. Someone throws a rose to the girl, Katniss, and she blows a kiss in the direction it came from, hundreds of hands try to grab her imaginary kiss. The crowd is loving them. Before I know it we're in the city circle, the other chariots filing in behind us.

President Snow walks onto the balcony above us, he starts giving the annual welcome speech but i'm not listening. I'm thinking about Katniss, and how amazing her death will be.

A/N this one was really fun to write, I hope you liked it. Thank you for reading and please vote or comment <3 Main characters belong to Suzanne Collins.