Chapter 11: Jack

"Zane! Zane!!!" I scream from the bottom of my lungs.

My voice echoes through the house. The sound reverberates off the walls, but there is no response from Zane. He just lies there with his eyes wide open and a blank expression on his face. Panic rises within me. I am shaking like crazy now. My heart is racing like Formula 1.

"Zane!!" I yell louder this time. "Please don't leave me!!"

I am sobbing so hard that my chest feels like it's about to explode. A feeling of complete despair envelopes me. I don't know what to do. Tears stream down my face as I collapse to the floor, my body wracked with sobs. The weight of the silence in the room is suffocating, with each passing second feeling like an eternity. Desperation consumes me as I pray for a miracle.

"Please," I say between deep gasps for air. "Just stay here with me."

"Jenna," he says softly.

"Zane?"

He turns his head and looks at me, giving me the most beautiful smile I've ever seen before. I reach out and take his hand, squeezing it tightly, not wanting to let go. Tears stream down my face as relief washes over me.

I whisper, "I thought I had lost you."

Zane's voice trembles as he replies, "I'm here, Jenna. I'm not going anywhere."

He checks his wound. The arrow only scratched him. "I got lucky," he says with a faint chuckle.

The two of us smile, and I am so happy that he is alive. Actually, I am so happy that I have totally forgotten about the two men who attacked us. Panic sets in as I realize that we are still in danger. My heart races as I glance around, searching for any sign of the two men.

And then I hear a voice behind us. "Hey there, lovebirds."

I freeze, my smile fading as I turn to face the source of the voice. It's one of the men, his eyes filled with malice as he brandishes a machete. My heart sinks as fear floods my body. I try to remain calm, but my hands tremble uncontrollably. I take a deep breath, desperately trying to steady myself. Thoughts of escape race through my mind, but I know we are trapped. The man's sinister grin sends shivers down my spine, and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. I glance at Zane, hoping to find a glimmer of reassurance, but his expression mirrors my own terror.

The room feels suffocating as the man takes a step closer, his machete glinting in the dim light. Time seems to slow down as the man's footsteps echo ominously in the silence. Every second feels like an eternity as we wait for the man to make his next move.

He approaches us with a menacing swagger, his eyes filled with sadistic pleasure. I can see the twisted delight in his eyes as he revels in our fear. He stops just inches away from us, his breath reeking of alcohol and malice. My heart pounds in my chest, threatening to burst through my ribcage. I can feel the cold sweat trickling down my spine, my body trembling uncontrollably.

Another man enters the room. It's the one in the camo uniform. He approaches us and stops, observing me with those cold eyes.

"What do we have here?" he says. His voice drips with authority and a hint of amusement. I exchange a quick glance with Zane, silently praying for a way out of this nightmare. But there are none.

I sigh deeply, resigned to my fate. There is nothing I can do to save myself.

The man raises his knife, taking another step towards us. Fear fills me as I imagine all sorts of terrible scenarios playing out in my mind.

He chuckles and says, "What's your name?"

Zane remains silent, staring at the man without flinching.

The man continues, "Well, boy. If you don't tell me your name right now, I'll kill your girlfriend."