Chapter 17: Echoes Of Gunfires

Our journey towards the east led us through a cityscape marked by the scars of desperation and survival. Abandoned and burned-out cars littered the streets, relics of the chaotic days that followed the outbreak.

As we navigated through the desolation, idle lerkers roamed aimlessly, their vacant eyes betraying an insatiable hunger. The distant echoes of yesterday's gunfire lingered in the air, a haunting reminder of the fragility of our newfound existence.

Blair, eyeing the burned vehicles, remarked, "Looks like the world went out in flames. Not the most picturesque apocalypse, huh?"

Sally, twirling a piece of candy in her hand, added, "Well, at least we have candy to sweeten the view."

We moved cautiously, the occasional groans of idle lerkers punctuating the ominous silence. As we observed the surroundings, a peculiar realization struck us – the absence of baby lerkers among the horde.

Hyuni, pondering the observation, voiced her concern. "Why aren't there any baby lerkers? I mean, if this virus is as contagious as it seems, shouldn't we be seeing them too?"

Hela, her eyes scanning the idle lerkers, considered the question. "It's possible that the virus affects them differently. Their immune systems might not be developed enough, or the virus is overpowering them too quickly."

Blair, his expression somber, added, "So, in a twisted way, the virus is sparing them by killing them outright."

The revelation hung in the air, a chilling reminder of the brutal nature of the infection. As we pressed on towards the source of yesterday's gunshots, the cityscape whispered tales of tragedy and survival, an unspoken history etched in the ruins of what once was.

As we ventured further east, the urban landscape showed signs of sporadic skirmishes. Scattered bullet casings and occasional spatters of blood painted a grim picture of the struggles that had unfolded in the city streets.

Blair, eyeing the surroundings, suggested, "Maybe we should find a car. It'll make our travel faster and less tiring."

Sally, always ready for a quip, grinned, "A car in a zombie apocalypse? Now that's a classic!"

Hela, considering the practicality, nodded in agreement. "It could help us cover more ground and avoid unnecessary encounters. Let's keep an eye out for any vehicles that are still in decent shape."

As we continued our journey, the burnt-out shells of cars became more frequent. It seemed like a graveyard for vehicles, remnants of a time when the streets were filled with the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

"Look for one that seems functional, and hopefully, not too infested," Hyuni suggested, her eyes scanning the dilapidated vehicles.

Amidst the wreckage, we spotted a relatively intact sedan. Blair cautiously approached it, checking for signs of unwanted passengers. Sally, standing nearby, teased, "Don't let any zombiemobiles surprise you in there!"

Blair, inspecting the car, replied, "Very funny, Sally. Just keep an eye out."

After a thorough check, Blair confirmed, "It seems to be in working order. Let's see if we can find the keys around here."

As we searched the immediate area, the urgency of the situation lingered. The eerie quiet of the city pressed upon us, a constant reminder of the dangers that lurked in every shadow.

"Found them!" I exclaimed, holding up a keyring triumphantly.

Blair, taking the keys, grinned, "Great find, Harry. Let's load up and hit the road."

The prospect of a vehicle brought a renewed sense of hope. We piled into the sedan, the engine roaring to life after a few attempts. As we cruised through the empty streets, the cityscape unfolded before us, a silent witness to the stories etched in its walls.

Our journey continued, the hum of the engine echoing against the silent backdrop of a world forever changed.

As the sedan glided through the desolate streets, Blair's thoughts took a darker turn. His gaze fixed on the road ahead, his brows knitted in concern.

"How fast does the virus spread once you're infected?" Blair asked, a heavy undertone in his voice.

Hela, sitting beside him in the back seat, considered the question. "It varies. The speed of the infection seems influenced by factors like the individual's immune system and the severity of the bite."

Blair's fingers tapped nervously on the steering wheel. "I've seen others turn quickly. What if it happens to me?.. I mean one of us?"

A somber silence filled the car as each of us grappled with the weight of Blair's unspoken fear. Sally, sitting upfront, tried to break the tension with a joke. "Well, if you get bitten then we've got the Blair-ometer. We'll measure your transformation time, while you tell us where all the lerkers are hiding."

Despite the attempt at humor, the gravity of Blair's situation lingered. I glanced at Blair, my concern palpable. "We'll face each challenge as it comes, Blair. Stick with us, and we'll get through this together."

Blair nodded, a mixture of gratitude and fear in his eyes. Hela, ever the pragmatic one, added, "Our priority now is finding a safe place or help. We'll figure out the rest along the way."

The sedan rolled on, a makeshift sanctuary in the abandoned city. Each passing moment heightened the urgency of finding a secure location, a refuge where Blair could face whatever lay ahead.

The city, once teeming with life, now bore the scars of an apocalypse. Our journey continued, a delicate dance between hope and the looming specter of an uncertain fate.