Chapter 5: Lives Earned

We walk cautiously, looking at all of our directions for any danger. Out of nowhere, all of us stops after hearing a faint grumble coming from a close proximity to us. We stand still in shock only for me to come to a realisation, it was just my stomach, craving for some food to eat.
"Oh shit, i dropped the food that we picked up earlier when i was attacked by Mr Joshua or whatever that was." I spoked up in shock, remembering about the eight pieces of breads that i took from the cafeteria.
"It's okay we go get some from supermarket in the basement of the mall." Sally says while she was looking at the mall that is located about a couple hundred metres away from our school.
It was a very dreadful, oddly serene and silent journey and no one seemed to speak up about what happened. Theres vehicles crashed into each other and toppled over lightpoles that causes electric flares all over the ground. The limbs and guts of what used to belong to people, horrifically remained at the streets where children used to walk. Nothing could never exceed our expectation on what's to come next. A normal habit of stopping at the traffic post, waiting for the light to turn green for us to proceed, relived its moment this time. I unexpectedly stopped and press the button to make the light turn green faster although there wasn't any cars or vehicles or movements to be exact. The light from the mall was well lit and everything would seem normal if theres just people but the silence is almost unbearable.
"Why are we waiting?" Hyuni asked giving a confusing look.
"Honestly, i.. i don't know. Nevermind let's go. " i say while leading them across the street. We consistently move our heads left to right in case there might be a vehicle that decides to show up out of nowhere, speeding towards us.

Our burden loosed from off our shoulders, and fell from off our backs, right after our feet touches the platform, not a road. Though, not everything is loosen. We are still affected yet the curiosity spreading like a fire, across our puzzled faces but no one seems to say a thing about it. We walk towards an opened door that is located at the back of our local Starbucks Café that is currently on construction so we were certain there wasn't any food or drinks there at the time being. Therefore, we proceeded into the door which leads into a staircase, then a mall.

The staircase leads two ways, basement and the following levels above. As we were about to go down the staircase which leads to the basement where a minimart is located at, cracklings and faint grunts was heard by all of us which caught our attention to look directly above us, through the gap between the steps. I gestured Hyuni and Sally to be completely silent as soon as i noticed blood dripping down from their body. They might need help, but i am not risking my life nor theirs to see whats up. I turned my head to the door that leads to the basement and i immediately jumped out of instincts and stepped on a glass frame which made a huge cracking noise. First of all, why is that frame even there.

What startled me was a guy, dressed in floral shirt and a three quarter jeans. His shoes, ah lets just say his shoe, because he only had one leg. My reaction attracted the things above and infront of me and their first move was to rush at us. Before we could run or move a muscle, the door behind the one legged human or thing or monster, was kicked open, knocking that one legged floral wearing beast to the ground. As i am about to process what is happening in this current situation, two young teenagers, whom i guessed to be around my age, pushed us backwards and tell us to run.

We were shocked and do not have the time to argue so we run. At this point, the guy that was just barging through us earlier, is leading the group. To where you may ask? Up the stairs where there are more of those things.

As he noticed that we could not go up nor below, he whips out his tactical knife from his sheath on his belt and started to be ready for a fight. And the girl who was behind us, whipped out a cool looking katana from her back. If that is not badass enough, she has two of them.

As amusing as the fight may be, we were all interupted by Sally, who kicked the door right beside us, that i didn't even know was there this whole time. We all entered the room and the unknown girl slammed the door shut behind us while i pushed the file cabinet infront of the door, making it harder for the door to be opened from the outside.

"What? If Sally could kick the door open that easily, who knows what those things out there might be capable of. " i explained myself as i turned, noticing everyone was looking at me weirdly.

"Those things, we call them Lerkers and they are capable of almost anythimg because they don't feel pain, like we do. " The badass girl said while continuing with " I'm Hela. And this is Blair, my boyfriend."

"Hela as in the greek god of death? Or the two faced terror? No wonder you're badass. Anyways I'm Harry and this is Sally, girlfriend and Hyuni, my classmate. " I replied, pointing to Sally and Hyuni Respectively.

Hyuni, being the girl she is, replied with a wave and a big smile while Sally just gives a soft 'hey'. Everyone of us was still shocked and breathless from what had just happened that we didn't even notice we were in a security room, filled with monitors that displayed certain places of the mall. Even right outside our door. Damn, those things are scary.