Chapter 3: No Rain, No Flowers

"Okayy, here goes nothing" i whispered to myself, rubbing my hands together.

"Listen up people, Mr Joshua went out a minute ago to check on what's going on. I will need your full cooperation and please no punk or funny acts." I calm the class down while dedicating some of my lines for Pete and his group of guys.

"So what? He put you in charge? Hahaha you can't even get your own life together, what makes you think you can lead us into what? Safety? That's funny." Peter insult me after noticing that i was indirectly talking about him and his friends. The class starts to giggle, especially Pete and his boys.
I am speechless. Out of nowhere, a superhero appears to help me out in a very tough situation, or shall i say an embarassing one.
"Hey! Listen to him. He saved me from getting injured and i am sure as goddamn hell he can possibly do the same for you guys. Mr Joshua in fact, did put him in charge. If you have a problem with that, you take it out on Mr Joshua when he gets back. If you simply just want to abide by his words and rules, the door is to your right. Please help yourself "
Hyuni came in with a spontaneous speech, making everyone realise what i am trying to do for them. She points to the door and you guessed it, Pete and his guys walks out as if they are going to recess. Really? Something frightening is happening outside and they still choose to play a fool.
"Suit yourselves." I shouted through the windows as they walk pass the class. Pete smirks and points his middle finger at me. How rude, but its fine, i hope he gets caught up in whatever bad thing he might come across later on.
"Anyone else?" I asked while raising my hand, leading towards the door. If theres any crickets here, that'll be exactly what i hear.
"Okay so ya'll remember the briefing we had last year on terrorist attack right?" I asked and the only replies i get was blank faces and whispers.
"Alright, i'll walk you through it anyways. First, get all the tables and chairs to the windows on our right, and stack them quietly. I'll handle the doors while all of you work on the windows. Remember, carry the tables and chairs, don't drag. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask me, i'll guide you through it over and over again if i have to." I briefed the class and as soon as i got my last word out, everyone starts to do what they were tasked. I walk to the door with a chair and place it underneath the handle. From my experience of watching crime shows or movies, they usually place a chair like how i did and that way, the handle can't be pushed downwards, meaning the mechanism inside won't move. Therefore the door will not open. But in my case, the chair was too short for the handle.
"Here, you'll need one more to be stacked over that chair in order for the handle to be stuck" Sally said, handing over another chair to me.
"Thanks, genius." I said trying to crack a joke but she doesn't seems to be on about it.
"We'll be alright, do i have to ask Hyuni to give another heartwarming speech to make you realise that we'll be alright?" I smirked.
"Psh.. Haha no thanks. I'm fine babe, just a little shaken." Sally chuckes followed by an explanation.
The sky now glimmers a deep dark unholy maroon tint, somewhat of distasteful taint. We restlessly waited for 6 uneventful hours in the midst of fearful cries from the locals, distant explosions, the sound of helicopters flying over us and the pin-drop silence of the classroom. We were unbearably famished as we have yet to satisfy our hunger. My fellow classmates have been demanding me to go get food for them, being that i am the appointed leader. I finally decided to cater to their demands and snapped at Hyuni and Sally as a gesture to accompany me in collecting rations for the famished class from the canteen.
I hoisted the tables and the chairs that were up against the door to provide a suitable method of exit from the class.
"Barricade the doors behind me" i ordered Raimy as i went ahead with Sally and Hyuni. As we walk pass the classes, an unsettling silence filled the air in the school despite the ruckus happening outside of the compound. It appears as if this place was abandoned years ago, with its broken windows, flipped tables and chairs, tools and bags all around the compound, and even broken doors.
"Strange, only hours ago, this place was filled with people walking and skipping around." I said, pulling Sally closer to me.
"Hey what about me?" Hyuni speaks up.
I gesture at Sally to comfort her. Hyuni gives a warm smile as soon as Sally offers her hand for Hyuni to hold onto as we walk.
As we arrived at the school's cafeteria, the cafeteria is completely in a mess. Theres remnants of food scattered throughout. I notice the gate to our left, which leads to the food storage, was left wide open.
"Hurry, get in there. We don't wanna be spotted." I said while checking my surroundings. After the coast seems to be clear, i enter into the storage room. I am not going to lie, as soon as i step foot into the gate, I begin to sense an uneasiness in my stomach, much like butterflies, fluttering about vigorously within me desperately trying to escape. No, no, it's not that i am falling in love again or something. It's something else, as if i am so nervous and terrified at the same time.
I breath in deeply and walk towards a few boxes which seems to contain bread. To the right of the box theres an opening which leads to the counter and i could'nt help it but to peek. Just before i took a peep, my nose picked up a god-awful malodour scent, ignoring it and proceeded to take a peep. God i wish i didn't do that. I peeped and saw what seems like a horror or alien movie scene. The man that used to sell food and beverage to us, is lying dead, on the ground. Weird right? Well that is not even the worst part yet.
The body layed motionless and was stone cold on the ground, blood splatters almost around it's close proximity with a pool of blood continuously leaking out from it's chest, which horrifically, seemed to be gut and ripped open by force, as if a creature mercilessly tore the man apart and voraciously ate his insides, leaving his dead carcass to decay and decompose where it lies. Panic started to engulf me and so i hurriedly take some food from the box and tries to rush out of there as fast as i can. Seeing her, it, i don't even know what is it anymore, is horrifying. It will scar me for life. Which is why, under no circumstances, shall they find out.