V.

Looking out at the city, it was difficult to picture fully functioning people going about their lives. Each had their place. A place that they were specifically bred for, and within four weeks of their birth, began to live, as they took up their duties, fulfilling their place within society.

Enna placed a hand on my shoulder. She had insisted on being the one to escort me from the Facility.

"Remember, once you leave the confines of the Facility, you will be a fugitive. You will be hunted down by mercenaries, and with no tag, you will be easy to single out. They won't ask questions and you will not be allowed to explain. Even if you do, they will not believe you."

I sighed heavily. I knew all of this. I could not understand why Enna was speaking to me as though I had a choice. I spoke to her with far more confidence than I felt, "I will find the resistance and then I will be under their protection."

"How do you plan on finding the settlement? These people do not wish to be found," she cautioned.

"Enna, the point is to be noticed. Even the citizens will notice that I am different if they get close enough. And people talk. The resistance will at the very least be curious about me," I smiled.

I was sent out the public exit and as the doors slid closed behind me, I felt the finality of the moment. I fell into the crowd, a sea of slumped shoulders moving in such unison that no one even noticed me.