XV.

They had decided against horses, for fear of alerting the mercenaries of our approach. I was relieved because I could not ride. According to Owen, they were a two day behind us. The troop had been taken somewhere on the road between Litore and Pauperum and were headed toward Carcerum Hold. Owen anticipated that they would stop just before crossing the pass. That would mean camping somewhere near Carmelo. We were to ambush them there and try to get the medics troop back. Owen decided it was best we lay in wait and solidify our plan based on the landscape and travellers.

We avoided the main road, staying within the tree line around the lake, especially near Langulum. Even within the tweets, the heat of the day seared through the foliage. Everyone in the group seemed to suffer from the heat. Especially Arthur. The sweat beaded down his face and his shirt was wet with perspiration. He was a whole foot taller than anyone I had ever seen before. He must of noticed my eyes on him, as he turned to look at me sideways.

"I know," he smiled, "May as well have walked through the lake. At least the smell would have been better," he chuckled, and I couldn't help but laugh with him.

The Gate Bridge was bustling with life, so rather than risking it, we crossed the smaller tributaries. The sun cast the shadows of trees over the marshy ground. It was the perfect place for fishing and feasting. Other animals took advantage of the opportunity to feast on the fish, or the smaller animals that hunted them. Everything was alive. We even sought the chance to rest and catch some fish. Most of them were quite docile, just sitting below the surface. Owen and Arthur made quick work of catching them. Clarence started a small fire with what he could collect from dry ground, "We are lucky that it is spawning season," he nodded towards the pile of fish that was slowly accumulating, "Otherwise we would have had to go after something much less willing."

Before long, we had eaten our fill. The others decided that a quick swim would not be enough to dent our progress. I left them splashing about like children to go and relieve myself and then find somewhere more private to wash. I moved further along the bank toward the mountains. The stones along the shoreline of Hyacinth turned to rocks and those rocks turned to boulders; the perfect place for some privacy. I knew that I was not trusted completely by the Elders and that Owen was my watchdog; I had to be careful. Their physician was clearly important. The Elder has said that she must be, "liberated at all costs." She was one of the reasons that the settlement had lasted as long as it had. Without her, there would be no more trainees, no more health care. Most importantly, she new how to reverse sterilisation. If I could someone aid in the demise of this individual, I would be one step closer to fulfilling my purpose. I just had to make sure that I did not get caught.

Relieved and washed, I strolled back to the tributaries to find some of the group re-dressing in preparation to move on. Owen turned as I approached, "Lucky. We were going to come looking for you."

I smiled at him, "Can't a girl take a wash?"

It was dusk before we finally came to the Pass entrance. We made camp under the watchful eyes of the trees and chose not to light a fire. The night was too warm to require it anyway and our earlier feast of fish had stayed our stomachs.

Clarence and Arthur talked quietly under a copse of smaller trees, whilst the three others with us kept to themselves just past a line of trees. Owen sat on his own, higher up, at the base of the mountains. I pretended that I needed to go and relieve myself. Arthur and Clarence gave me a nod, before resuming their discussion.

I followed a narrow, worn path; I assumed that It had been made by some sort of animal. Goats perhaps, on their way into the mountains. I reached Owen's perch and he shuffled to the right so that I could fit beside him. I got comfortable on the ledge and breathed in the night deeply. It was hot, but slightly perfumed, the taste and smell pleasant. I could not see the others from this vantage point. Their hiding place concealed them well, even with the help of the bright, full moon. We could clearly see the Pass entrance though.

Owen sighed, breaking the silence, "So," he breathed, "What are you doing up here?"

It occurred to me that I did not even know the answer to this. What was I doing? I searched to find an answer that would sound normal. He interrupted my list of possibilities, "Art and Clarence are talking about fishing again aren't they?"

I nodded.

"Hmm. That makes sense. Once they get started, you want to climb a mountain to get away."

We both laughed.

"They are brothers, you know?"

That surprised me, "Really? But they are both so... umm..."

"Different," interjected Owen, "Yes, they are. Their mother married twice. They are a product of each marriage. Clarence the first, and Art, the current."

An anger seared in me, "That a wrong," I snapped.

"And why is that?" Owen quizzed.

I swallowed hard, "I was always taught that you served one bond mate. Death should not be a release."

There was a long pause, after which, Owen said, "I don't know about 'serve', but I do know that Cassandra was lucky to find two loves. I should think myself lucky to just have one." He stood and manoeuvred around me, "I'm going to get some shut eye. You should too. Tomorrow evening will likely be an eventful one." He slid down closer to the ground, before disappearing down the goat path.

The moon lit up the night, but made the shadows seem much darker. The lights of Carmelo could be seen in the distance, casting a glow into the sky. Everything else was quiet. I closed my eyes, enjoying the breeze that had cooled.