XII.

Life in the settlement never stopped. Everyone rotated duties. Farming crops, caring for livestock, cooking, repairs, watches. The list was endless, and everyone participated without question. Harvest meant that nearly everyone left the other jobs, for a time, so that the harvest could be completed quickly and effectively.I had just missed it and everyone had resumed rotation. Owen was on watch at the decoy settlement called Elicerent, which meant that I was too.

"We take provisions for a four day. What we need for the two day that we are there, and extra to stock the supplies," he explained as he took me through the stores, gathering bags and jars to fill our packs.

"I need to speak to Ruben, the store manager, why don't you go and gather any personal effects you may wish to bring and I will meet you in the stables."

Personal effects? That was an interesting idea. I had nothing. No special tokens that I held dear. I watched the settlement members going about their business and wondered what it was that each of them held dear. Seemed silly, really. For some materialistic thing to mean so much. Children carried small wooden and cloth items shaped like animals or people. It seemed illogical. At the Inn, I collected clothes and some rags to wash with, not that any of them really belonged to me.