XIX.

When I got back to my room, the only light to guide me back had been the luminescent moss that coated the cavern walls. As I walked the stairs, I tried to avoid the creak of the fourth step.

"I was wondering if you would ever come back."

Startled, I missed my footing and tripped up the last steps. Owen.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered aggressively.

"Waiting for you," he gestured for me to take his hand up the remaining stairs and to my bedroom door. I fumbled for my key and when I finally go the door open, I slid inside, and Owen followed.

"I'm sorry that I startled you and that I upset you earlier."

"No. I'm the one who should be sorry. At least I know why you hate the Facility, and I haven't heard anyone preaching The One's teachings here."

We both stood awkwardly in the room. Owen glanced around, before resting his eyes on the floor.

"Well, I will leave you to get some rest. I will see you tomorrow?"

It sounded like a question. I nodded. He looked into my eyes and then took a step forward, placing a kiss on my cheek before leaving quickly.

I sat on the bed, sinking into the blankets and straw. I replayed the kiss in my head over and over, until I fell asleep. I did not understand.