XXIV.

Getting inside the Facility was easy thanks to Art and Clarence. What I wasn't sure about, was how I would be able to find the Minister. I convinced the men that we could cover more ground effectively if we split up. Each of us carried a large satchel to fill with supplies. We agreed to meet down in the cleaning halls when we finished or failed to find anything of use.

I went straight to the upper floors, roaming the white corridors and trying to avoid the white jackets of the workers who blended so well into their environment. Most of the doors I encountered were inaccessible, but one labelled "Infirmary 43". I cautiously slid inside, back to the wall. The room was so white, like everything else. This was where I had woken up, which meant, perhaps I could find a way to the Minister from here. I rested my hand on the nearest of four beds. The sheets felt course under my hands, gripping to the rough surface of my skin.

My stomach felt heavy at the sound of glass shattering against stone.

"Who are you? What do you want? Turn slowly and stay over there." The panic in the stranger's voice unsettled me, as I peered over my shoulder to face the voice.

I could not believe it, "Enna?"

"How do you know me?"

"Enna, you woke me. You were there..."

Enna's voice grew stronger and louder as she spoke, "You have no mark. You are from the resistance. They will find you and you will perish! You are an abomination in the eyes of The One."

This made no sense. I stepped forward, reaching out.

"Don't move or I will scream!"

"Okay, I will not move. But you have to listen. You know me."

"None of this will matter. You are going to burn," she spat through clenched teeth.

I turned quickly, exiting the same way that I had entered. There I found mercenaries. Too many to avoid. They looked out of place up against the Facility walls. Their dirty blue skin contrasted sharply against the white of the walls and their clothes barely covered their bodies. Out of place.