Chapter 15: Exposing Secrets

"Maheen." I say.

"Hmm." She responds.

"Can I ask you a question?" I sincerely ask.

Her facial expressions change, but why?

She already sensed what I was going to ask her, hopefully she answers me and doesn't beat around the bush.

"Who phoned you yesterday? And why did you hide your phone and avoid the questions I asked about them?" I let out in one deep breath.

I could see that she was getting worried about this question.

I don't want to force her to answer me, obviously it's her life but we are 'friends' as she says and surely we share everything plus she didn't seem okay with the call so I'm making sure she's okay and she never confirmed that it was normal she was hiding the whole thing so I found it a bit suspicious.

I noticed her fiddling with her tiara shaped ring.

No way.

After all these years.

I had gifted her this ring for her 12th birthday, I was only 15 but I wanted to get her something before I moved without telling her because I didn't want to make her upset on her birthday.

Something she could remember me with, she didn't remember me but is still attached to a symbol of me.

It is adjustable so she could wear it for the rest of her life and real gold, I got it carved with the help of Hamza bhai, her elder brother.

He helped out in the family business in jewellery, they don't do jewellery anymore since he got so busy with his office work so it was sold off to my family and now I handle it alongside Izhaan bhai until he left due to depression.

In Sha Allah, he will join back again.

(If God wills)

"That ring.." I begin to speak.

"I know it's really pretty, I love it. I've had it for like forever but I can't remember where I got it from but I always wear it." She smiles as she passionately speaks about the ring.

"Me." I reply.

She looks up at me in confusion and raises an eyebrow before saying, "Sorry?"

"I bought you that ring," I stop as I see her facial expression change ever so slightly, "It's okay if you don't remember it was ten years ago on your 12th birthday, I asked Hamza bhai for help to carve out the ring for you and make it adjustable so it wasn't just temporary wear. I was 15 but wanted to get you something memorable and meaningful before I left abruptly and I guess the charm stayed since you still wear it."

"Wow. I-I can't believe I forgot you gave it. Thank you again though, it was a very nice gift and I've treasured it till this day." She smiled.

MAHEEN KHAN'S POV:

I think it's time I tell him.

"Kaleem." I wait for his response to allow me to continue.

"I'm listening." he says as he begins to bake something in front of me.