Part 14 |Deer in a Bear Trap|

I turned into him, burying my bloodied face in his chest. He hugged me tight, as if he would never let go. He was the only comfort I had in this bizarre situation.

I moved away from him, my mind racing with ideas. What should I do? If I run, will I even stand chance? I have to run, right? I can't stay here... so many thoughts, so little time.

    Without being suspicious I took in my current surroundings. I should run. I looked from Tommy, to Tex, and then to Vilmer. I have to run.

    The silence in this room was painful, I was sure Vilmer could see the intent in my eyes - his smirks were so telling. I whipped my head back to Tommy. I had to act fast, he could see it too. I stepped back from him, just a small step, right into Billy's fresh blood which was seeping into the floor boards.

    "You better not be thinkin' of runnin'!" Vilmer laughed, "you know we can't let you leave," there was that disgusting vile grin again. With that, I booked it. Vilmer didn't even attempt to stop me, he just cheered me on as I bolted through, "look at her go!"

    I heard Tommy yelling but I didn't stop, I was running as fast as I could down the dirt driveway. I looked over shoulder and saw Thomas, full sprinting toward me. Usually bigger people are slower, but he was catching up to me scarily fast. Tex was right behind him, but Vilmer was nowhere to be seen.

     Tommy was too close for comfort, and when his chainsaw revved for the first time, I dipped into tall grass. I didn't get to far in when cold metal slammed around my ankle with a crack. I wailed as I fell to the ground. I clutched my calf, carful not to touch the tender skin that was caught up in the jaws of a bear trap. I shouldn't have looked at the damage. My right ankle was mangled beyond recognition, blood was spewing out rapidly. I continued to shriek, the pain was unbearable, I felt like I was gonna puke. Then I heard the grass around me rustling. My hands shot up to my mouth to conceal my cries, but it was no use. It was as if he could smell my blood. Vilmer was standing right in front of me, shotgun in hand, pointed right at my head.

    He looked down at the bear trap and lowered the gun with another laugh. Slowly he crouched down in front of the trap. Without breaking eye contact with my fearful gaze he gripped my shredded ankle in his free hand. I shrieked as his grip strengthened and he wiggled my foot around, still snagged in the trap. "Stop it!" I screamed repeatedly between sobs. He was eating my fear up like a full course meal.

    Tommy and Tex showed up soon after they heard me screaming at Vilmer. Tommy grunted, shoving Vilmer away from me as I continued to cry. "What in the hell is your problem huh?" Vilmer said, "she ran away from you, she wants nothing to do with you." He taunted his brother, "why would someone like her be with someone like you?"

    "Stop that!" Tex smacked him on the shoulder.

    Vilmer shrugged, "I'm just speakin' the truth."

    Tommy grunted again, I assume it was a kind of warning for Vilmer to back off. I was digging my fingers into the ground to try and think about something other than the searing pain in my right leg. Tommy's hands hovered carefully above the wound, as if assessing what he should do. He then placed his hands on the metal trap, staying away from my torn flesh.

    With hums he counted down, after the third gun he pulled the jaws of the trap over. At first some pain was relieved, but it didn't last long, the pressure was gone and blood poured out of the wound faster than before. Vilmer reached for the partially exposed bone, but Thomas smacked his hand away. He huffed and walked off, but Tex stayed, probably to make sure I didn't do anything else.

    Tommy pulled an off white cloth out of his pocket, it wasn't very clean, but it was better than nothing right not. With another few hums he tightly tied the cloth around my ankle. I whined and cried, but at least I wasn't profusely bleeding everywhere.

    When Tex moved to pick me up, I pushed myself away with my one good foot. He glanced at Tommy, nodded, and walked off without another word. This time Tommy went to pick me up, I still moved away from him, but he scooped me up bridal style without much issue.

He was walking quickly, and with every step my foot bounced, causing me to whimper each time. Every little bounce hurt like hell, but I was afraid that if I made to much noise something worse would happen to me. About half way to the house he readjusted his hold on me and I finally let a loud cry out, unable to hold it it any longer. He stopped walking for a moment, looking down at my tear soaked face. I could read his eyes like a book, he was confused and worried, I could tell he did actually care about my well being, unlike that asshat Vilmer.

"My... foot," I whined between my sniffles. He looked down at it, then back at me with an 'oh' kind of expression on his face. When he started walking again, he was walking much slower keeping my horrible destroyed ankle in mind. It still hurt, but less so.

"What the fucks takin' you so long!?" Vilmer yelled from the porch. Thomas didn't even look at him, nor did he acknowledge what his brother yelled, "I know her ankles fucked up, but your ain't!"

"Fucking asshole," I muttered quietly both as an insult to him, and just letting myself speak my mind. I knew Tommy was laughing. No audible sound was coming out, but I could feel it in the way his chest was moving.

Word count: 1000+

A/N- sorry for taking so long between posts, usually I have 2 or 3 chapters ready to post, but I'm on a slow streak right now lol!! :P