Lord and Master of Kashan Fortress

Arslan's company got up early the next morning, about an hour before sunrise. Daryun was missing.

"Where the hell is he?" Zofia asked Narsus.

"I sent him off to Kashan fortress, to explain to the master our situation. With Prince Arslan with us, he is likely to help us." He replied.

Zofia nodded. This master tactician really had everything planned out.

She saw Elam ogling at Narsus. He must really look up to him, maybe as a father figure?

Zofia's heart sank a little. Though she's tried to hide it, the pain of Kharlan's death still stung. He wasn't her biological father, but he treated her like his daughter. And she will always miss him that way.

———

The six of them rode their horses on the way to Kashan fortress, with around a large group of Lusitanians who had caught up with them, after Arslan's head.

"How many in pursuit?" Gieve asked.

"500 cavalry men." Narsus replied, searching for Daryun as they neared the fortress.

Gieve continued to babble on. "A few too many then. 400 I could manage, but 500 could be stretching it, even for me."

The priestess Farangis rolled her eyes. "Pay him no mind. He's an unabashed bragger and an idiot of the worst sort."

Zofia laughed because she agreed.

"Daryun's gonna return soon. Can you make it, Arslan?" She said.

"I can." Arslan replied.

The group tensed. They still weren't used to the presence of this new girl who fought Elam, called the prince by his first name without any formality, and was apparently a witch.

As they turned the corner, the sunlight blinded their eyes and the wind blew harshly against them. Farangis took it as an opportunity to fire an arrow at the enemy.

Being blinded by the sun and aided by the wind, the arrow struck right in the Lusitanian's shoulder, making him fal off his horse and disrupt the people behind.

If the wind was just a little stronger...Zofia used her magic to rush the winds at the Lusitanian soldiers.

"An excellent shot!" Gieve praised Farangis, firing an arrow himself.

The Lusitanian aimed at them as well, but something was making the winds push their arrows back, and they could manage to even reach their group.

"I've recieve good word from the Djinn. According to them, we've made the wind our ally." Farangis called out.

Djinn? What's that?, Zofia wondered. She'd have to ask Farangis later.

Suddenly, a horse was galloping towards them, with Daryun riding it. "Your highness!" He yelled.

"Daryun!" Arslan yelled back, glad to see him.

"This way." Daryun lead. The rode off the hillside, turning down to a canyon instead.

But this is a dead end?

"Over there!" Daryun continued to lead them this way, and though Zofia doubted him, it was most important to trust your comrades.

A blaring horn el he'd throughout the canyon, and Zofia couldn't tell where it was coming from.

"What was that?" She asked.

Suddenly, at least a thousand Parsian soldiers appeared on the edge, shooting thousands of arrows at the Lusitanians.

"They're too many! Retreat! Retreat!" The Lusitanians yelled.