A Duel before the Gods

Three of Prince Arslan's advisors sat in Daryun's tent. Daryun prepared and sharpened his long sword as Narsus sat across from him, Zofia sitting beside him.

"Dueling before the gods," Narsus piped. "It is a grave responsibility."

"To be honest, I'm not very worried." Daryun said. "I feel fairly confident I can defeat any warrior they send against me."

"You're real humble, Daryun." Zofia said sarcastically.

Narsus said, "I do not doubt your skill; nor though, do I doubt our opponents' willingness to cheat. Remain vigilant."

Daryun paused. "We have a great task ahead of us. I find this detour irritating."

"I know you'd rather continue our true mission, but there is another way to think about it." Narsus said, standing up.

"Once this matter is resolved, word will spread of Prince Arslan's wisdom and honor, such renounce can only be to our future advantage."

Narsus took a sip of his drink. "Support will likely increase for our uprising against the Lusitanians."

"And at least one bastard Sindhuran Prince will be put in their place." She added.

Daryun smirked. "Well, in that case, I truly cannot afford to lose this duel, can I?"

The Knight in Black's face turn solemn. "The day Lord Bahman saved his highness, I thought upon my uncle's words, and upon the oath I readily gave him. Prince Arslan will always command my loyalty."

Daryun continued to sharpen his sword.

———

"What?!" Gahdevi yelled, his voice echoing off the walls of the royal capital.

He held a scroll containing Rajendra's message, barely stopping himself from tearing it to shreds.

"Rajendra had that Knight in Black acting as his champion?!" He growled. "This bout will determine the fate of all Sindhura, and he's chosen a Parsian?!"

Prince Gahdevi crumpled the letter, before throwing it on the ground and stomping on it.

"HAS HE NO SHAME AT ALL?!"

Lord Mahendra carefully approached the prince, arms at his back.

"Whichever kingdom he may be from, no one denies this particular knight's strength and ability. Is there any man among our own forces that can beat him?"

Gahdevi took deep breaths to stop himself from lashing out any further. He pondered with the thought.

"There may in fact be someone..." he said.

"Sir?"

"We've no choice but to unchain Bahadur."

Mahendra's face fell in shock-terror at the idea. "You cannot mean that, highness. He's too dangerous to- eugh!"

Gahdevi grabbed him by his collar, lifting him up ever so slightly. "Then name me another of our men who can defeat the Parsian knight!"

When Mahendra could not give an answer, Gahdevi released him from his grasp.

"Forced to entrust my fate to a wild animal...it is a wretch thing." Gahdevi admitted. "However...I will do what I must."