Elegy for the Setting Sun

Gahdevi's army took the field, supported by war elephants, whose invincibility was well known. Set to oppose them were the allied forces of Rajendra and Arslan.

But even together, their numbers were less than half of that of Gahdevi's.

Gahdevi himself was leading the charge, commanding from a small tent perched atop one of the war elephants.

The elephants roared with might, intimidating all those around them.

There only thing separating them -besides the distance and dry land- was a long flowing river with a fought current.

"Today we defeat Rajendra, who seeks a throne that is not his!" Gahdevi spoke. "This usurper must be destroyed!"

From Rajendra's side, he tried to make a better speech than his older brother's.

"Gahdevi has lost every battle he's fought! He is inept as leader and General! He simply does not deserve the throne!"

Reno knew in his heart, soul and mind that none of these two bastards deserved the throne.

From across the battlefield, Reno felt Gahdevi's eyes bore into him.

"Guess he still wants my head mounted on his wall." He chuckled.

From afar, he saw Jaswant, who looked awfully troubled by something. Perhaps guilt?

Drums started to bang and echo across the field, building up momentum to Gahdevi's great claim before his march began.

He raised a hand and closed a fist, the drums coming to an immediate halt.

Gahdevi stood up.

"Hear me, Rajendra," he said. "You are the son of a slave, it is past time that you learnt your place. If you climb down from your horse and prostrate yourself, I will spare your miserable life."

Reno whistled in amusement.

Going after Rajendra's mother, who was a slave before the king slept with her, was a low blow of childish rivalry. Weren't they supposed to be fighting now? And where were the Parsians?

"Ha!" Rajendra laughed. "I don't dispute that your birth is higher than mine; and yet our father did not formally declare you crown Prince!"

Rajendra's wicked grin only grew wider. "How could he when he always had me to compare you to? You're too weak to be king."

Low blows and personal digs all around. Reno held his laugh behind his hands.

"Cross the usurper!" Gahdevi ordered.

The front lines charged and advanced towards them.

"Launch the attack!" Rajendra countered, his own army running to meet Gahdevi's.

It was pure bloodshed, all starting seconds are the two armies came into contact.

The screams of fear, yells of rage and adrenaline, and the sickening squelch as soldiers stabbed spears into each other's throats.