Missed Calls and Excuses

I woke up to three missed calls from Ryan.

All at two in the morning. Asshole.

I showered and got ready for school. 

Not so tight fitted jeans and a black tshirt will be fine.

When I got there, students were crowded in the hallway and Spencer was waiting at my locker.

"Hey." I greeted him and started messing with my lock.

"What's up with Ryan?" Spencer asked. I looked at him confused.

"What? How am I supposed to know?" Spencer shrugged and put his back against the other lockers.

"He's just in a bad mood. Told Jon you blew him off?"

"I blew him off? No. He was supposed to call me. He blew me off."

"So you guys are talking then?" I shrugged and grabbed my books out of my locker and closed it.

"I don't know what's going on. He pisses me off." Spencer laughed and we walked to first hour together, like we always do. Jon was with his group of assholes, Ryan included, and he smiled at Spencer. I prepared myself for the sarcastic comments and teasing when Spencer went to greet Jon.

But this time, he only waved, smiled and blew a kiss to him and continued walking with me.

"You don't have to walk with me you know. You can go talk to him." Spencer smiled and put an arm around my shoulder.

"Nonsense! You're my best friend. I see Jon all the time." I sighed and felt like a terrible friend.

-

Spencer sat with me at lunch. He didn't make a big deal about not sitting with Jon like he usually does.

"Question," I set my bag of chips on the tray and looked at Spencer. "why are you blowing him off for me?"

"What?" Spencer asked, as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

"All day you've only just walked past Jon and haven't said a word to him. Just smiles and blowing kisses. You've spent most of the day with me. Why?" Spencer sighed and leaned back in his chair.

"Is it really that bad that I want to hangout with my best friend? Why are you getting so mad over it?"

"I'm not getting mad. I'm confused. You always sit with him and you talk to him any chance that you get. And I feel like complete shit right now because you're blowing him off to hangout with me." 

"Well, he'll be fine. And so will I. We're always together. I never see you anymore." He gave a reassuring smile and finished eating his lunch. I threw mine away and neither of us said a word to each other for the remainder of the lunch hour.

-

Ryan was standing by my locker after school. I almost said fuck it and turned to leave but he saw me and smiled. I rolled my eyes and turned the lock, trying to ignore Ryan's presence.

"Hi," he leaned against the lockers, his leg crossed over the other and holding books in one arm. "you've ignored my texts all day."

"Phone's at home." I said coldly.

He hummed in response.

I stuffed my books in my locker and slammed it shut, locking the lock and turning away from Ryan.

"Let's hangout." He showed up at my side, almost touching me.

"Let's not." I continued walking to the student parking lot and Ryan's friends were all gathered by the wall.