Chapter 29 - It's Will.

Early mornings and late nights are when I miss Alyssa the most, because these are the times when we could be together so perfectly. I could curl up with her in bed, and I'm not thinking about sex or anything, just being with her and innocently laying with her. It makes my heart ache every time I think of it.

Now it's the early morning, so the pain's there worse than ever. Sterling's still asleep and the sleepy silence is unnerving. I groan and pull on a shirt, then sit up and find myself running my hands through my hair repeatedly, leaning forward on the edge of the bed with y elbows on my knees.

I'm breathing so heavily and I can't hold it in that I find myself pulling on my converse and standing up, rushing over to the door and then running down the corridor, which is so silent and white that I feel like I'm disturbing the world when it's recharging. The sun is just peeking up.

I turn corners, run down the stairs, and then...

"Oh-"

"Fuck-"

"Sorry."

"Yeah, me too."

I've been going down the corridor like the walking dead, banging into walls and now it turns out that I've bumped into an actual person. It's a guy with black hair, about my height or even slightly taller (which is fucking tall). He's got that mixed-race look about him and I've never even seen him before.

"It's alright," I tell him sleepily, shaking my head as he just smiles and steps to the side.

The fact that he looks so cheerful just causes me to stare at him in disbelief.

"Uh, I'd be careful on the stairs," he warns suddenly in a northern accent, as I'm about to grumpily carry on walking towards the staircase leading up. "There's a shit-load of water, like someone had an accident."

"Right, thanks," I laugh slightly as I go past him. When I look back, he's gone, but I feel some sort of weight lift off my shoulders from seeing an actual happy-looking person around this place.

It sounds gay as hell, but seeing someone smiling does help to clear your head.

When I get to Alyssa's door I feel like the most stupid person in the world. I remember her telling me that if I really wanted her back I would have kept trying to talk to her. I stayed away for ages and now here I am, too late.

But I knock. And it's too early in the morning and it's too late, but I miss her too much. If she's going to shout at me I don't care, I just want her to look at me.

I jump slightly as the door is wrenched open and Alyssa's standing there with a bright smile on her face, as if she's expecting someone. But it only lasts for a second, because then she's jumping back, away from me, her face accusing and irritated.

"What are you doing here?" She demands, as if she is disgusted by me. I've never heard her say anything to me like that before . . . It hurts.

I open my mouth to reply, but she's already shaking her head and placing her hand back on the door handle. "Just leave. Get out of here. Bye, Will."

"No. Wait!" I exclaim, sounding frantic and half-mad.

Alyssa stares at me with wide eyes, as I reach out my hand and take hers. I notice her chest moving up and down quickly, as she's getting scared. But I pull her towards me, and whisper, "Alyssa, please. Can we . . . Just try to be on good terms, at least?"

Anger flashes in her eyes, as she suddenly tugs her hand out of my loose grip. "Good terms?" She echoes incredulously. "How the hell do you think that'll turn out? Will, I'm finished with you. Okay? We don't live on the same road anymore, we're not sixteen anymore. It never would have worked out. It didn't, anyway!"