Chapter 19 - It's Jack.

As soon as I see her car pulling onto the drive, and Stella yells, "Alyssa'a here!" I'm racing down the stairs like a five year old on Christmas morning, and I don't give a damn about what the others say. But then i do care about Alyssa thinks - I can't make myself look desperate to see her like this. I come to a halt at the door, so suddenly that Stella crashes into me.

"What the- Jack, go!" She moans.

I stop, and then move to the side, letting her go past me and throw the door open.

I decide to follow her out, at a leisurely pace. Looking casual. I spot Alyssa in a pink jumper, Niall hugging her tightly and her laughing. Niall got here an hour ago. Damn, she looks so beautiful. Her hair's in a ponytail, her eyes sparkling as she talks to him. Stella runs over and then Alyssa grins and hugs her, too.

"Jack!" Alyssa calls to me suddenly, and I realise she's staring at me.

I smile and go to hug her tightly, feeling her arms wrap around my waist in return. She smells like I remember from those weeks ago - strawberry and sugar and sweetness and just Alyssa. I realise that I've just been standing there holding her for too long when Niall and Stella look at eachother awkwardly, and Alyssa clears her throat and pulls back.

"How's it been?" Niall breaks the awkwardness with a grin. I can just see from his body language that he's dying to see Katy when she comes back - she'll be here any time soon.

"Oh, alright." I see her falter slightly and I know what's on her mind. Or rather, who. "You?"

Niall grins. "Great. I have a great room mate. Classes have been great."

"Sounds great," I laugh at him, and they both chuckle.

Stella looks at Alyssa, with big, hopeful eyes. "Is university like really cool? What's it like, living on your own?"

That's when I notice how uneasy Alyssa looks. She runs a hand through her hair, messing it up a bit, with an awkward smile. "Actually, it's nicer at home. You know, doing your own washing and everything isn't amazing."

Stella smiles, just as Alyssa's brother runs out with his arms open wide. "Alyyyyyssssaaa!" Phillip yells. His sister grins and bends down to wrap her arms around him, before her parents walk out. I wonder what it'd be like if I went to university and I was coming home today. I wonder how excited everyone would be, as I watch Alyssa's parents hug her and talk to her.

After a while they turn to Stella, Niall and I. Her mother does, more like - her dad just stands there talking to Alyssa.

"Hello. Niall," she nods at him, then looks at Stella. "And ... Stella, right?" Her voice is so posh.

Stella just nods, obviously not impressed.

Then her mum looks at me and raises an eyebrow. "And ..."

"Jack," I mutter.

"Ah, yes. Jack." She smiles pleasantly. "How're you all?"

Niall looks at her with a bored expression on his face for a few seconds, the suddenly snaps out of it and nods, smiling. "Fine. Thanks."

"Yeah, good," Stella and I add.

"Right, well come on Alyssa. I've made a lovely lunch for you - lentil soup and whatever you want with it." Her mother goes back to ignoring us, and Niall turns to me as Alyssa waves and begins to walk away.

"There's something wrong with her," he says lowly.

Guilt twists inside of me, for knowing when he doesn't. I bite my lip and shrug. "Maybe she's tired. You can ask her later."