Chapter 38 - Jack here.

January flies by. I play the fuck out of my record player and cassette tape from Alyssa, so much that its everywhere and I can't stop thinking about her. Dan and my sisters go back to school, my dad is back at work, Alyssa and Niall and Katy are back at uni, and I am back at square one.

But square one is slightly better and slightly worse than it was before. Because I have Alyssa now, even if she is far away, but whenever I go out I am praying that I don't meet Ash or Luke or Melanie.

I visit Alyssa a few times, but she's busy so it's mainly stolen nights in her apartment where the pair of us fall asleep after a while, in each other's company but not really there. Every time I think about that Christmas Day and how much I just wanted wanted wanted her in my car, and it is shameful to think like that because I love her for more than that, but sometimes you just can't help it.

"So, how are things going with Alyssa?" My dad asks, every time I get home in the morning, his eyebrows raised. Maybe he's trying to figure out if we're having sex, or have done it. He's trying to get an answer out of me.

But I just always tell him that she's doing well, and that's all.

Dan breaks up with Christie, and I am glad that he has finally seen some sense but he doesn't seem all too happy about it. However she was demanding and false and from what I heard from Jess, mean to Alyssa too. So I can't really feel bad about her not being around anymore.

I continue to work at the garage. I stay far away from Luke, and in Ash's place this new guy who is a couple of years older starts working called Callum. He's not bad at all - both of us are quiet, so we just get on with our jobs and that's it.

I'm counting down the days until the February holiday - even if it is just for a week.

"Do you miss Alyssa?" Jess asks me one Saturday. I've taken her to the supermarket because she wants to buy a DVD with the money she's saved up. After choosing Aladdin she has brought me over to the checkout area and is interrogating me.

"Yes," I reply.

"She's coming back in a couple of weeks, though, isn't she?" Jess demands.

I nod. "Yeah, we'll be able to see her then."

"And it's gonna be your birthday!" Jess exclaims.

I've always hated having my birthday in February. February is the month of the year that absolutely nothing happens in; it's cold, and boring, and miserable. And no one else I know has had a birthday in February so it's like I'm the only one who has to deal with the awfulness of it.

Stella's is in March, when things finally begin to look up. And Jess has hers in May. Dan's lucky to have his in August, although he always complains about being one of the youngest in his year. At least he isn't in school at that time.

But oh well - there are far more important things to worry about.

"Are you going to stay with Alyssa forever?"Jess whispers as we move forward in the line.

"I don't know, Jess. I can't predict the future," I tell her.

She stares at me for a while, in pure wonder. Then, "Do you want to?"

"Of course!" I laugh lightly. "Why, what do you think?"

Jess grins. "I think she's the best girlfriend you've ever had! She's so nice, and I love her hair, but I think you know that. Everyone knows that. And she's so pretty."

"She is, isn't she?" I can't help but grin, as Jess gazes happily up at me. The woman standing in front of us looks over her shoulder and smiles warmly.