The way home

"Okay..." I murmured awkwardly, opening my eyes and turning in the direction I felt the tug in. "I think...that way?"

Chessie nodded and waited for me to start walking, then followed behind me quietly, his footsteps quieter than my clumsy ones. I followed the strange tug, wondering why I just now felt it. I could've gone home at any time...so why was the strange sensation just now appearing? Maybe because I had just now realized how much I wanted to go home. 

But I had already wanted to go home before....right...?

"You look like you have a lot on your mind," Chessie mumbled, stepping over a root and casually catching me as I tripped over it. 

"I do," I huffed, yanking my arm out of his hold. "Not like I want to share my thoughts or anything."

"Figures," He shrugged, smirking.

"What's that supposed to mean, Chessie?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him as I walked (more carefully this time). 

"Nothing," He replied wryly, glancing over at me. "But you realize I can't go with you, right?"

I paused, looking at him. "But...you're human," I said, frowning.

"That I may be, but that doesn't mean I belong in your world, Allegra," He responded, following me as I took a sudden turn.

"Then what the heck are you going to do here? You've been stripped clean of your powers or whatever they are called," I asked, slowing down.

He gave me a long look, eyes practically piercing through mine. He shook his head, sighing. "Our worlds are different, Allegra. No matter what...any prophecies say, I wouldn't be able to go with you."

"Prophecy?" I stopped walking and whirled around to look at him. "Is this the thing you mentioned when I first met you? I think El yelled at you about it or something."

He nodded, stopping right before he ran into me, and raised an eyebrow as he peered down at me. "I believe so, yes. I'm assuming you'd like to know of it?"

"Obviously," I said bluntly, crossing my arms. "And I'm not going anywhere until I hear it."

A smirk tugged on the corners of his lips, and he let out a long sigh. "As you wish," He murmured, shifting on his feet. "Sooo....long story short...I was told that the next Liddel would have some kind of connection to me."

"You know more than that. I can tell," I remarked, glaring at him. "So tell me."

"What does it matter at this point?" He retorted, suddenly irritated. "The future can change, and it obviously has if you can't tell. You think I wouldn't have tried to prevent all this?"

"Jeez, you're like a teenage male," I murmured, rolling my eyes. "Stop trying to switch the subject; just tell me."

"Intertwined Fates," he said bluntly, staring at me to observe my reaction. He didn't get much of one. 

I let out a laugh. "That stuff exists here?"

"More things exist here than in your world, Allegra Liddel," he replied smoothly.

"Oh, so now you're a philosopher?" I commented, sighing, turning back around, and continuing on my way home, wherever it was.

"I'll be whatever you want me to be," he shrugged, smirking. "If that means being some smarty-pants weirdo, then so be it. I'll gladly embarrass myself for your entertainment."

"That is strangely...wholesome," I said slowly, eyes narrowing in amusement. "Well, then, sir. Just be yourself; it's good enough. No matter how annoying you are," I added, stopping.