19 | December: Screw the Rules, I Love You

December. The end of the semester.

I blew on my hands to keep them warm as I entered my hairdresser's shop. I'd decided last summer that twice a year—summer break and winter break—I'd treat myself to a full hair makeover. And with the way things had gone for me over the past few months, I needed this. Desperately.

"The usual trim?" my hairdresser asked as she snapped the black cape in place over my clothes.

I shook my head. "I want to go a bit different today." I explained what I was looking for, and she nodded along.

"Oh honey," she drawled. "Heartbreak is a beast. We'll make you up real nice today, okay?"

"Thanks, Sarah."

She walked me over to the washing station. The warm water felt good on my head as she massaged my temples, a scent of lavender flowing over me. As she washed, we made small talk about school and Eloise. Anything to get my mind off of everything else.

By the time she was done, my head felt lighter—both from our talk and the haircut.

"Now, remember. Use a round brush, take the blow dryer and use them together to form the curls. It'll add heat and give you some more volume." She handed me a spray next. "This is to keep the curls in place."

I pulled my wallet out from my purse. "Thank you so much. How much do I owe you?"

Sarah waved her hand. "Friend discount." She tapped out the details on her payment iPad and swiveled it around to me. "Don't be a stranger, okay? I'll see you soon."

"See ya, Sarah." I slung my purse over my shoulder and started toward the door, but froze before I got there.

Standing at the front of the salon, pulling off a pair of faux leather gloves, was the last person I expected to see here.

Out of all the hairdressers in Portland...

"Amelia?"

How dare you speak to me.

I forced a smile. "Linda."

Her features, tinged with pink, softened. "He misses you, you know. Just the other day, Braden was saying—"

"I hate to be rude," I jumped at my chance before she could boast about how perfect her life was now that Braden was back in it. "I'm on my way out and have some errands to run. If you'll excuse me..." I gestured to the door, but she just reached out and curled her fingers around my wrist.

"Amelia, I know we got off on the wrong foot—to put it midly." She let out a chuckle, trying to lighten the mood. "I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about you and Braden, and I'm sorry. You weren't ever trying to break up our family and I was too blinded by jealousy to see how good you are. For Lucy and Braden."

I stayed silent; it wasn't like there was much I could say.

"I hope maybe we'll be able to move forward. Maybe not friends, probably not friends. But you still have to see me for one more semester while Lucy is in your class."

Not to mention every year until she graduates because you're the PTA president, I thought to myself.

"And if that's not going to convince you, then I think this next thing might." She pulled a card from her pocket. "Tomorrow at three pm. Please, be there. I promise it'll be worth your while."

I regarded her carefully as I took the card. What could she possibly think that she could offer that would be worth my while?

***