08

The weather was freezing, so much so that Yunho's breath fogged, his nose red as he sat away from the crowd of people exploring the biggest event in his community. Ironically, this was his first time going, his parents weren't interested indulging in the fall festivities, so naturally, Yunho and his brother didn't either.

Yunho only found himself in the middle of Fall Fest because he was going to implode with all the homework and extra curriculars if he didn't take a break. Take a break, as in sneaking out of his house with the moon up wasn't the original plan, but his parents wouldn't be back till tomorrow, so to hell with it. Yunho followed the music and the joyous commotion only to end up in the middle of a hoard of people, bustling vendors, screaming children, and the freezing cold.

It was new to him, the atmosphere was bright and fun, loud and overwhelming. He would have enjoyed it if he hadn't just snuck out without money, let alone a jacket, so the break he yearned for wasn't much of a break now that he sat shivering in the cold.

Out of the blue, his vision filled with yellow. Yunho backed up, realizing that someone had shoved a sunflower to his nose, followed by a knitted scarf that now hung around his neck. Yunho's eyes traced the outstretched hand, looking up at the boy. Crescent eyes, toothy smile, plump lips, rosy checks, with the biggest puffer jacket he'd ever seen.

Cute.

"Your nose. It's red," the boy said as he pushed the flower back to Yunho's nose. Yunho held the flower, still at awe at what to do with the sudden interaction. Not everyday did someone stuff a flower against his nostrils as a means to protect his nose from the cold.

How thoughtful?

The boy fixed the scarf around Yunho's neck, making sure to cover his ears.

"Your ears are red, too."

Yunho self-consciously touched the side of his ear, a faint blush splaying on his cheeks.

"It's cold," Yunho let out, trying his best not to clatter his teeth while he responded to the stranger.

"Figured. Pretty crazy of you to go out in the middle of fall without a jacket," the teasing tone of the latter brought a smile to Yunho's face. "This was kind of impromptu..."

Mingi scrunched his brow, scanning the boy sitting down before tugging him up on his feet. "You can come to my mom's restaurant. It's warm there."

With that, Yunho let Mingi drag him a couple of blocks down the neighborhood, less than a mile from his own home, to a little quaint restaurant.

The bell rang as they entered, and Yunho was taken aback by the smell of the place. It was delectable. Warm. Cozy. Calming.

"Mingi-ah, you're here?" a lady's voice resonated from inside the kitchen.

"Yes, eomma! I brought a friend, and he's in dire need of something warm. Could you make another bowl of japchae, please?" the boy named Mingi said, peeking through the kitchen door to where his mother was.

Yunho stood in the middle of the room, a little awkward, as he was just dragged into unfamiliar territory. Though he felt out of place, it was nice and peaceful. He could already feel the tingling sensation from his ears and nose, the cold leaving as his body adjusted to the pleasant temperature.

"Don't just stand there, silly. Sit down, I'll get you a blanket and some tea," Yunho nodded.

"Um, do you think I could get a cola instead?" Mingi looked at Yunho for a second, he found it a little odd, but the boy nodded giving the warmest smile that melted Yunho even more.