001

"dad can you hurry, i'm gonna be late!" margo called out from her position opposite el on the small table

"alright, alright i'm coming." jim hopper maintained as he moved his curtain and began looking for his keys whilst doing up his top button. margo stood up from her chair and grabbed her shoes, slumping back down into the chair to slip on her black high top converse, which had little doodles on every blank space that her and robin would draw.

she stood back up and grabbed her bag from the kitchen counter. hopper put on his hat and opened the front door. he gave el a quick warning to not leave the house and margo kissed the top of her head and bid her goodbye.

when they finally pulled up to the school, margo slid out the car slightly slamming the door behind her. she looked through her open window, "don't be late tonight, you know el gets worried." she whispered the last bit cautiously if anyone was around.

"yes, okay, now get to school kid." hopper waved her off with his right hand. margo walked to the trunk a took out her skateboard. she smiled and said goodbye to her dad.

as jim's car pulled away and margo looked around until she spotted one of her closest friends. jonathan byres. he waved at her and she skated over to him.

"hey!" jonathan said.

margo stepped on the tail of her board and caught it by the truck as it jumped up. she smirked as she noticed he was looking at nancy. "you're so whipped."

"i am not. she has a boyfriend." jonathan nudged her shoulders. as margo was about to reply and faint revving sound cut her off. the noise grew louder as a blue camaro pulled into a space a few away from jonathans car.

"who the hell is that?" jonathan asked.

"no idea." margo furrowed her eyebrows. a teenager who looked about jonathans age stepped out of the car followed by a small redhead girl. the girl quickly began skating towards the middle school.

the boy looked over to where her and jonathan leaned against his car. he caught her eye and winked at her and walked away, she was taken back slightly. her cheeks flushed and she fiddled with the cuff of her black leather jacket.

jonathan cleared his throat. "i think you'll find that you're so whipped."

"i don't even know who that kid is. he could be an asshole for all i know." she shook her head. jonathan chuckled. "come on we need to go, i gotta find robin."

jonathan nodded his head and they both strolled towards the school, oblivious to the fact that nancy and steve were gazing at them both.

"starry mar!" robin exclaimed as margo sarcastically rolled her eyes at the nickname and waltzed over to her locker.

"hey rob." she smiled giving her a quick hug. robin and margo are the bestest of friends. though they were complete opposite they still fit together like puzzle pieces. robin was quite a extroverted, bubbly person like a teddy bear, whereas margo was a confident and introverted but a little intimidating to some. but one of the things they have in common is that they will defend each other with their whole lives. her other friends didn't really know a lot about robin only because margo didn't want her to get caught up in the monster mess.

speaking of monsters tomorrow was halloween. margo had no plan of doing anything. she wasn't the biggest fan of halloween, she was thinking about just going to the store and getting a bunch of candy and watching a movie with her dad and el. that was until she was currently waiting outside of nancy and jonathan's 4th period when she was handed an orange sheet of paper.

"you're both coming to this." nancy said smiling.

"come and get sheet faced." jonathan read aloud. "no im not."

"me neither." margo piped up.

"i cant let you two sit all alone halloween. thats just not acceptable."

"hey i wont be alone." margo said too quick for her brain to process. when her two friends gave her a strange look she responded, "me and— my dad are gonna eat loads of candy and watch horror movies...actually i think id rather come and get sheet faced." she shrugged as her friends chuckled.

"well anyway nancy you have margo to go and you can relax im not gonna be alone. im going trick or treating with will." jonathan interjected.

"all night?" nancy raised her eyebrows.

"yeah." jonathan shrugged.

"no, no way. you're gonna be home by 8:00, listening to the talking heads and reading vonnegut or something." margo stated.

"sounds like a nice night." jonathan grinned.

"jonathan, just come. i mean, who knows, you might even, like, meet someone." nancy was cut off by her own squeal as steve picked her up. margo pushed jonathan's arm to motion for him to start walking.

they both began walking in comfortable silence until margo broke it. "well if i'm going then you have to come. i'm not third wheeling them all night, cause i know for a fact robin wouldn't go even if i bribed her with a million dollars."

"ugh fine, maybe for like half an hour or something when i drop will home."

margo grinned as he finally gave in. she noticed robin standing at her locker. "ill see you tomorrow." she waved at him.

"yeah see you."

margo and el were currently sat in el's bedroom looking through fashion magazines, when they heard the usual rhythmic knock on the front door. el was about to open it from the bedroom but margo stopped her and stood up walking over to it.

as she opened it she gave her dad a look. "i know kid i'm sorry." hopper told her trudging in. he took off his belt and placed it on the counter along with his revolver, opening the fridge he grabbed out a beer.

he stared at the small dining table that was set in three places with trays covered in foil. there was also a plate of half eaten eggos. margo was turning off the tv when Jim spoke up mainly to el who was still in her bedroom trying to catch her attention. "hey, what'd we talk about?"

"that was me dad, she was hungry and i got home from robin's a bit late." margo objected.

"no signal." el's voice cut off as she walked into the room. "its 8-1-5. you're late."

"yeah i lost track of time. i'll signal next time, all right?" hopper stated. margo and el sat in there places. el being opposite hopper and margo being in between. "and uh, its 8-15. its not 8-1-5."

"eight-fifteen." eleven repeated. margo smiled as they all unwrapped their trays and began to eat, making small conversations.