The problem

I sat down on the wooden bench as I admired the church. Beautiful elements and paintings decorated the ceiling. I heard that someone sat on my right side, making me turn my head down from the ceiling. A man that I recognised to be my client from some time ago sat there.

"Long time no see", he chuckled and shook my hand. "Nice to see you", I said and let out a laugh. "So how do you know the bride and groom?", he asked as he looked at me tightly. "The bride is my childhood friend", I said which made him raise his eyebrows.

I wasn't that interested to talk to him so I tried to aim my attention to somewhere else. People were coming in, trying to sit as front as possible. I sat on the second last row. Everyone was wearing black since it was a black tie-themed. I was wearing a long lace dress.

I hadn't seen the bride in many years so I was a bit confused why I was invited, but you know me, I never say no to a party.

I sat on the chair, eating a bit of my salad. I had made some small talk with people at my desk but everyone had left to dance. I didn't really like the food but the venue was amazing. High ceilings, fancy details in the walls and chandeliers were decorating the room.

Suddenly I dropped my fork on the plate as anger took over my body. I noticed Luka dancing with someone. First of all, why was he there? Second of all, who's that girl? She was short and skinny. It made me feel like my heart was bleeding. Just because he got someone smaller than me. Suddenly I felt very insecure about my body. I fixed my posture so that the stomach rolls that I had made up in my mind wouldn't show. I gulped and licked my lips, trying to aim my attention somewhere else than at Luka.

I bit down on my lip as I failed at that. I gave them another look again, feeling like my heart stopped. They were smiling at each other. During all these years, Luka had never gotten a girlfriend. I know that we're not together. I just like that he hasn't moved on. He's like a backup plan.

I flinched when I felt someone's hand landing on my shoulder. I turned my head up to see that guy from earlier. His blue eyes were looking down at me, making me give him a small smile. "Would you like a dance?", he asked and offered his hand. I raised my eyebrows slightly and looked at him shocked. He looked tensed. I nodded, a small smile forming on my lips. I put my hand on his hand before he led us to the dance floor.

His other hand landed on my back as I put my other hand on his shoulder. I felt his breath on my hair as we swayed to the music. "Why did you ask me to dance?", I asked curiously as I looked at other people dancing next to us. I felt his hand going a tiny bit lower on my back as he answered, "Because you looked like you need a dance".

"I saw you looking at them", he noted. I gulped and asked, "Who?". "That guy and that girl", he said. "Oh yeah...", I whispered as I lowered my gaze. "Are you two dating?", he asked. I shrugged and said, "Fuck no, I hate him". He looked at me confusedly and said, "Okay".

"Thank you for asking me to dance", I whispered and looked him in the eyes. His soft eyes looked back at me and said, "You're welcome...Victoria". I lowered my gaze as I heard that name. My work name. 

I was feeling tense since I didn't know if that guy wanted my services again and I hadn't mentally prepared to work tonight.

With Luka...I felt something unexplainable. It was out of this word. He can be quiet and reserved but when our eyes lock...it's something crazy. It wasn't like that back when we used to date. We both have grown up from that.

He suddenly spun me around, making me let out a laugh. He spun me back to him, my other hand landing on his chest as our faces were just inches away from each other. We quickly backed away a little. "You have a funny laugh", he noted and grinned. I couldn't help but let out a chuckle and shake my head, "Thanks", making him smile widely.