Chapter 10

SALVADORA DE LEON

I don't know how my friends managed to trick me into this, but I was out on a blind date. Actually, I was out on a second date with my blind date from last week.

Brent Hall seemed like a nice enough man. He owned and managed his own building company, so we worked in similar professional fields. He had two young children like me, both of them younger than Arturo. There was a whole lot more that we seemed to have in common, and Brent seemed to have enjoyed our blind date last week, but I had found it rather insufferable and dull.

He just wasn't my type, but my friends seemed to think that I needed to give the man another chance.

"What's Arturo like?" Brent asked as we walked along the sidewalk, casually strolling back to my park after yet another boring dinner. Though, once again, it appeared that was only one-sided as if the bright smile on Brent's face was anything to go by, it appeared that he was having a great time this evening.

My lips turned up at the corners at his question.

"He's bright and mischievous and drives me absolutely crazy but I love him. I love him more than I thought it was possible to love someone, but I prove myself wrong every day when my love for him continues to grow."

I didn't doubt for a single moment that Arturo would continue to drive me up the wall for as long as I lived and give me many grey hairs before I turned thirty, but I wouldn't change a single thing about him.

He was mine, and I was his, and I would always be there for him. no matter what.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's going on with Arturo's father? Is he involved?" Brent's voice wavered with uncertainty; no doubt aware of the grey territory that he was leading himself into yet pushed forward nonetheless.

"If you don't mind, I don't like talking about Arty's father. I haven't even spoken to my family about him so please don't take it personally."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed."

"No, it's fine. You were just asking." I forced a smile, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot as we continued walking, though I wish we could increase our pace. I really wanted to get home now. "He's not in our lives though. He never has been."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't be."

"What about your daughters' mother?" I asked, not wanting to remain in awkward silence the rest of the way to my car. "What's going in with her? Is she still in your lives?"

"No." This time, it was Brent's turn to drop my gaze and shift uncomfortably from foot to foot. "She died two years ago."

My eyes widened and I cursed myself for asking about it.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I said awkwardly. "I didn't know."

"It's not your fault and there was no way of you knowing." Brent forced a smile which in turn made me force a smile, and things got very awkward between us.

So, he had asked about the non-existent father in my son's life, and I had asked about his dead wife. As if this date could get any worse.

"That guy looks familiar." Brent mused aloud, sounding relieved that he had something to change the topic. "Where do I know him from?"

I hummed but didn't say anything. By this point, I just wanted to get back to my car so I could get home to Arturo. He was staying with Ava and Hunter who were always willing to babysit whenever I needed the extra help, but I wished for nothing more than to pick him up.