Chapter 13

SALVADORA DE LEON

I couldn't believe the audacity of this man! After everything that he put me through, he pretended like he didn't know what had happened. Like he was innocent in all of this even though I viewed him as nothing short as the villain in my life.

I absolutely despised liars, and Titus Reyes was the biggest liar of them all!

He refused to acknowledge my son and now he wanted to act like we were old friends.

"Tell you what you did wrong? Do you hear yourself right now?" I hissed through my teeth, trying – and failing – to keep my anger in check.

For a Latina, I was surprisingly calm. My parents always joked that the gene missed me, and my sister received double of it instead. I could be a little sassy sometimes, but it was nothing compared to my mum and little sister where it enveloped their personality like a warm blanket on a cold winter's day.

"Why can't you just tell me what's wrong? How am I supposed to fix things if you don't tell me what the problem is."

"You're the problem." I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, have I upset the famous Titus Reyes?"

"Don't patronise me. I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings for not calling you. I should have but I didn't, and I'm sorry. But there's no need to patronise me. It's disrespectful."

"Don't talk to me about disrespect. You don't know the first thing about it."

"Why do you always speak in riddles? Why can't you just tell me what the problem is? Why do you insist on making things so difficult?"

"I'm the one that made things difficult? What's wrong with you? Are you hearing yourself right now? You're such a hypocrite to speak to me like right now."

"How am I a hypocrite? What did I do that's the least bit hypocritical?"

I rolled my eyes and bit my tongue, needing to be careful over my words. The last thing I wanted to do was go blabbing my mouth to Titus Reyes of all people. That would do nothing but hurt me.

"Please, Sal. Tell me what's wrong. Tell me how I can fix things." Titus begged, looking genuine but I didn't believe him. I couldn't. Not after last time.

"You can't."

"Please, Sal."

"I never wanted to see you again. After that night six years ago, I wished I never saw you again. I hate that you're in front of me right now. I hate that I have to see you now." I admitted in a small whisper, squeezing my eyes shut so I wouldn't have to look at him. The pain and hatred was just too much, and I couldn't figure out which was stronger.

"That's not true. You left me your phone number. You wouldn't have done that if you didn't want anything to do with me."

"That's before I found out what a horrible human being you are."

"Why can't you just tell me what I did wrong?"

"Because you already know!" I yelled, my chest heaving up and down as my anger got the better of me.

"I don't!"

"You do! I know you do!"

Titus huffed and threw his hands up in the air, as if he couldn't believe how unreasonable I was being.

What did I see in this man? Why had I ever slept with him in the first place?

"How can I know if you won't tell me?"