Chapter 35

SIX MONTHS LATER

TITUS REYES

I had never felt so nervous and excited at the same time before. The fact that Salvadora and Arturo were in the stands, both wearing my jersey, and cheering me on just made me that much more excited. Among them were also my parents, my brother – whom I still wasn't on talking terms with – and his family.

It was a blessing in disguise that this was the last season of my professional career. Even though Doctor Caldwin gave me the sign off to go back to playing football, my back ached at times, and I was in physical therapy after nearly every training session. It wasn't ideal, but I was willing to up with it for one season. For my last season.

My last wish was to go out with a bang. Even though my team had played such a great game so far and we were in the lead by thirty points, I wanted to score one last touchdown. With only two minutes left on the clock, it was time for that.

My teammates knew I wanted this. They knew I needed this and as the ticking of the clock became louder, the pressure was on to get my hands on the ball. The Lions seemed to have figured. This out as well as they had been marking me so much more these past couple of minutes, but I appreciated it. It would be no fun if this wasn't a challenge.

The moment Denzel's eyes connected with mine from across the field, I knew this was it. This was my moment. My final moment.

The crowd seemed to pick up on this as well as they began cheering louder than ever before. Denzel threw the ball at me, and I ran forward to catch it. The moment I got my hands on it, my lips stretched into a large grin. My heart started thumping, and my legs moved faster than they had ever moved before. I could feel the breath of the opposing team on the back of my neck, but that only pushed me harder and faster toward the finishing line.

The closer I got, the stronger the taste of victory until I finally crossed the line and scored the last touchdown of my professional career! Above it all, it was the cheers from Salvadora and Arturo that sounded the loudest to me.

I ran over to the sides and reached out for Arturo. Swinging him over, I wrapped my arms tightly around him and hugged him close.

"You did it, papa! You won!" He cheered, the biggest smile on his face that I had ever seen on anyone before. At the endearing way he addressed, I couldn't help but match it.

Arturo first called me papa when he and Sal flew out to New York at the beginning of the season to watch my first game. Of course, we won that one, and I scored a touchdown similar to this one to end the game, and Arturo rewarded me by calling me papa.

I was in such shock that at the time, the entire crowd could sense it. They could sense how happy I was.

"I did, Arty!" I grinned and pressed a hard kiss to his cheek.

"Can we get pizza to celebrate?" He asked eagerly.

"We sure can. We can order pizza to the after party." I chuckled, unable to resist pressing another kiss to his forehead.

This little boy had my whole heart, and he been the best thing to have ever happened to me. He, and his mama.

"Hi, hot mama." I grinned and moved closer to the stand so I could touch her. I immediately curled an arm around her waist as my mum reached over to take Arturo from me. "Proud of me?"

"I'm so damn proud of you!" Salvadora laughed and leaned down to press her lips to mine in a hard, bruising kiss. The crowd cheered even louder at the public display, and our teeth clashed when we both grinned into the kiss.

"Leave that for later, lover boy." Coach chuckled, tapping me on the back. "You can make out with your girlfriend later. Come give a speech now."

A slow grin spread over my face, and I pressed one last kiss against Salvadora's plump lips before I pulled away.