Chapter 31

SALVADORA DE LEON

When I felt his hand slip into mine, giving it a gentle squeeze as he tugged on it, my eyebrows shot up in surprise. My first instinct was to pull away and when I did just that, I was met with a small, hurt frown.

"I have to admit, that's not quite the reaction I was hoping for." Josh chuckled in an attempt to make things less awkward, though we both knew it wasn't much of a successful attempt.

"Sorry." I apologised more so because it was polite than because I meant it. "I'm not really looking for anything."

"That's what Ava told me and honestly, I was thinking the same thing coming into this date." He admitted, coming to a stop as he stared at me. "

"I had a good time with you this evening as well." I said, as if that was some sort of consolation.

The date itself was fine. Josh was good company and I enjoyed talking to him over a delicious steak, but I didn't feel anything. There just wasn't any spark. And if there wasn't a spark, it wasn't worth pursuing.

"But?" He prompted me.

"There's no spark."

Josh's smile dimmed a little, and I almost felt bad, but I had to be true to myself.

"Is there someone else?" He asked, more curious than annoying like most men in his situation would be.

"No." I answered quickly, but my face must have said something else. When he sent me a pointed look, I sighed, giving in. "My baby daddy has come back into the picture."

"And you're thinking of starting things up with him?"

"Honestly, we never started things up between us in the first place." I admitted. "I got pregnant from a one-night stand."

"And you're hoping to change that?"

"I'm telling myself I shouldn't."

"But you want to?"

"Yes." I exhaled my answer, not needing even a moment to think about it.

"Well, you should see where things go then."

"I can't." I sighed. "If things go wrong, then I risk hurting my son and that's the last thing I want to do."

"And if things end up going well between you too, you risk giving your son the life that you've always wanted." Josh flashed me a small smile, and I felt bad for turning him down. If Titus wasn't in the picture, I could picture myself really liking this guy.

My lips quirked to match his expression. "You give some good advice for a guy that just got turned down."

"Well, that's a good guy for you." He shrugged and when we finally got to my car, all hints of sadness and disappointment vanished from his face.

"Thanks again for the evening, Josh. Maybe I'll see you around."

"I hope so." He smiled and leaned in to give me a brief, friendly hug. "I wish you the absolutely best, Sal, but if things end up going south with your baby daddy, you have my number."

I laughed and watched as he walked over to his car.

Josh was sweet and caring, and kind of funny as well. But I knew that I wasn't going to end up calling him. Ever. Not even if things didn't end up working out with Titus.

I watched in the rear view mirror and flashed my lights as Josh peeled out of the parking lot, but I didn't move for the longest time. I remained sitting behind the wheel as my thoughts ran amuck.