6. New Ties and Old Wounds

A Haldi ceremony was organized for both the bride and the groom. The Ganesh Mahal and the Niranjana Mahal were decked up and there was a constant stream of maids moving in and out of their.

Vivaswan of course was saddened by the thought of leaving his daughter, but he was happy as well. His sister could now come to Ujjayini without Jarasandha becoming suspicious.

"Maharaj ki Jai ho! Aapse milne Rajagriha se koi aayi hai." A maid entered.

(Hail the king! There is someone to meet you from Rajagriha) 

"Rajagriha? Usha isn't supposed to arrive till afternoon." Vivaswan thought. "Let her in" he said.

Vivaswan was looking through a set of files when the woman entered.

"Bhau, are you too busy to meet me?" she asked

Vivaswan turned, and was shocked to see Usha standing there.

"Usha" Vivaswan said and in shock dropped the manuscripts.

She smiled through her tears and walked towards him and bowed to touch his feet.

Bhagyashree Nahalve as Chakravartini Ushadevi

"Akhand Saubhagyawati Bhava" Vivaswan blessed and pulled her up for a hug.

(may you always be the one whose husband. is alive, may you remain safe from the curse of widowhood.)

"Look at my fate bhau. It is said a woman's misery ends with marriage. My misery will end only with widowhood. Somebody else's curse is my blessing" Usha said.

"I was the writer of your fate Usha. I could have written it better." Vivaswan regretted.

"You wrote what Mahakal wanted you to write. I am happy that you didn't write Niranjana's fate like mine." Usha smiled

"Now is no time to remember the past. Lets go, I am yet to meet everyone else. I am curious to meet Vinayaka's bride." Usha wiped her tears an dput on a smile.

"Pitashri! The haldi ceremony is about to start.... Buaaaa!" Kushalini exclaimed. The door was open, for the first time she entered her father's room without announcing her arrival.

"Arey Kushu! You  have grown so much!!" Usha smiled at her youngest niece.

"Bua! I missed you." Kushalini hugged her and Usha hugged back.

"Have you forgotten your manners? Touch her feet!" Vivaswan chided.

Kushalini bit her tongue, and bowed to touch her feet.

"Saubhagyavati Bhava" Usha blessed her. "Let her be Bhau, she is just like my Asti and Prapti."

Asti and Prapti were young 18 year old daughters of Usha and widows of Kamsa. They had been forcibly married to Kamsa against the wishes of Usha. They had returned to Rajagriha after Krishna killed Kamsa widowing them both.