Chapter 10: A Choice

Iyla was lost. She found herself standing in a large room with marble floors, pillars, and as she spun around she saw windows that opened to a blue cloudless sky. Bright sunlight was shining in the windows and the warmth on her skin made her feel happy and alive, and she laughed at the thought.

"You have such a lovely laugh, I hear it so rarely," Iyla jolted as she heard a voice behind her. There was a throne sitting on a dais that she had somehow missed when she looked around the room.

She studied the woman who spoke for a moment. "Mother?" she asked, thinking that the female resembled the woman who had given birth to her. She and Iyla had the same blonde hair and similar features. When Iyla looked she noticed the female didn't have those strangely beautiful eyes Nesta and Feyre had though. This female had amber brown orbs. She was also tall, much taller than Iyla remembered her mother to be.

"I was not the mother who birthed you," the female smiled, "but I am the Mother who has loved you your whole life, my beautiful Iyla."

Iyla's eyes widened. Mother, she was the Mother?! Iyla internally panicked wondering what one does, or says, when confronted by the Mother.

"Think nothing of it my beautiful girl," the Mother stood from her throne and walked toward Iyla. She stopped in front of the girl and opened her arms widely. Without hesitation, on impulse, Iyla ran into her embrace and held on tightly. She started crying, so happy to feel warmth and love from someone.

"Am I dead," Iyla asked, when she finally stopped. She had been wondering how she got into the throne room.

The female pulled back slightly and nodded. "Mostly," she said. "You will die today, but my loving girl, I've decided to offer you a choice. One I've only offered a handful of times in history."

Iyla nodded to acknowledge what the deity was saying. "You may join me here in the afterlife and leave your cares and worries behind. I wouldn't begrudge you that decision. You've earned it, darling."

After a moment to let the idea sink in, the Mother offered, "Or you may return to your world, with my blessings, and keep trying to make it a better place until you are ready to come back here."

"Are my sisters alright?" Iyla asked, looking into the Mother's eyes.

"Your sisters are currently alive and they will find their places in the world eventually, with or without you in it. However, their paths to happiness will be much easier if you are there," the Mother conceded.

"Of course, I will go back then," Iyla said.

"Do you not wonder about your own happiness, my love?" the Mother asked.

"I would find joy in the happiness my sisters have, just as I always have," Iyla answered honestly. Of course, the easiest choice would be to remain in this afterlife, but she couldn't do it if she knew her sisters were suffering.

"This is exactly why I will give you my blessings, my girl," the Mother cupped Iyla's face in her hand. "You too, will find great happiness and very soon. It will last if you treasure it. You've both earned it," the Mother told her.

"Both?" Iyla asked.

"You will see, very soon, my love," the Mother said and offered Iyla another hug. Instead of the warmth she felt before, her world was turning topsy turvy, and she was suddenly drowning. The water rushed one way taking her with it and she hit a stone floor with a hard thud.

~~~~~~~

A/N: I Know it is short! Don't be mad! I have more written and ready to be published within the next few days, but this seemed like a natural place to pause. I hope it isn't too corny, but I wanted to illustrate that any powers or otherworldliness to Iyla was given by the Mother, not the Cauldron.