Chapter 19: Mister Bone Carver

Two days after making plans with Iyla to visit the prison, Rhys met her at the House of Wind after her training and during her breakfast with Azriel

The High Lord was disappointed with himself that he was unable to talk Iyla out of this adventure and he was pissed that Amren had even suggested it behind his back. He had confronted the ancient creature after he took Iyla home that evening.

"You claim you want your mate to be able to make choices for herself, but she will never have the opportunity if you don't present the options, Rhysand," the tiny ancient Fae snapped at him. "Iyla wants to know what her powers are, and we don't have the time to leisurely test them as you all were able to over centuries. The Bone Carver can help us in the most efficient way even if all he wants in return is knowledge. You're simply afraid of what he might do with the information she shares with him or anything that he might tell her without being asked. Being Blessed by the Mother is something everyone will somehow find out anyway, I promise you that, and soon enough she'll find out that she is your mate. The best thing we can do is prepare her for the fallout."

Rhys knew Amren was right. Iyla wouldn't be afraid of the Bone Carver either. The creature could do nothing to physically harm her, but he was afraid of what the Bone Carver could do with the knowledge that his mate was Blessed by the Mother. She would already have a target on her back as a mate and member of his court. What would one of the other High Lords do if they found out that his mate had ties to and powers from the Mother herself?

Rhys tried to push his anxiety to the side as he sat down to join Azriel and Iyla at the breakfast table. The two had planned a trip to the prison at some point during the day and although Rhys tried to talk her out of it more than once, Iyla believed that she and Amren would have more success with her powers if they could at least be identified. Iyla argued that she had chosen to remain in this life with her family so she could help them, and she was determined to, proving to Rhys that the sheer stubbornness of the Archeron sisters was an actual super power.

"How is training going?" the High Lord asked the petite blonde as she finished her plate of food.

She sat down her fork and smiled widely. "Well, I'm able to run up all three flights of stairs inside your house without getting winded, and Azriel hasn't been able to put me in a chokehold for three days!" Iyla told him excitedly. "I think I've progressed to the level of endurance of a four year old Fae."

"Don't sell yourself short, Iyla. I would say at least a six year old level," Azriel mocked and then smiled at her.

Rhys made a flabbergasted noise. "You're making jokes regularly now? Iyla, I'm giving you a salary for that alone," he told her half seriously. It had been a long time since Rhys had seen his brother so at ease with someone outside their inner circle. Even then, he was always rather stiff and uptight around Rhys' cousin. It seemed as though his mate might have found a brother figure of her own.