Chapter 16: A Female with a Plan

Iyla woke up wrapped in the arms of her twin. She didn't remember how she had gotten back to bed the night before, but she smiled at the thought of Rhys carrying her back. Shaking off the confusing feelings she was developing for the High Lord, Iyla laid in the bed and listened to the sounds of the morning. She didn't want to complain, but she was struggling with her fae senses.

Rhysand had once told her that some Fae had likened humans to animals in the past, but Iyla couldn't see the reasoning. Fae had many more similarities with animals than humans with their senses and their instincts.

She felt like she could hear everything. Iyla knew she was at the top of a mountain, but she could hear the city waking up below her. She could hear the river running through the valley of the mountain. She could hear every breath her sisters took, their heartbeats, the slight twitches of their fingers along the sheets. It was slightly overwhelming, and Iyla knew why Nesta shoved up those walls within herself to only project anger, and why Elain withdrew into herself completely. It was disorienting to say the least, but in gratitude for still being alive with her sisters, and far away from Lord Sieve, Iyla would persevere.

Elain groaned loud enough for Nesta to wake up when Iyla pulled herself out of her twin's arms.

"Where do you think you're going?" the oldest sister asked as she noticed Iyla head to the door after she washed her face in the bathing room.

Iyla knew the conversation about breakfast guests would not be well received.

~~~~~

Iyla flew back to the townhouse in Rhys' arms a little later. Rhys overheard as Iyla explained to her sisters that she had offered to eat breakfast with him and Azriel. It took everything in him not to intervene when he heard Nesta shout at her then the oldest flat out refused to leave Elain's bedroom if any Fae were present in the house. In order to make her more comfortable, Rhys interjected their argument and agreed to eat meals at the Townhouse for the time being, but he rejected the idea to stay there if Iyla was sleeping in the House of Wind. The Archerons may not know about the mating bond, or understand it, but he wouldn't compromise on sleeping arrangements with his mate's bossy sister.

Nesta glared at his response, but didn't offer a rebuttal. Rhys had noticed Nesta's mind was mostly silent behind a barrier she must have received from the Cauldron. He could hear her thoughts if he tried, but they were no longer shouted as poisonously as they were before. Occasionally he could hear an occasional stray thought. The harsh sister mentally noted that Iyla was more relaxed in Rhys' presence than she had been in years, and the High Lord felt pretty smug about that fact.

In order to compromise with Iyla, Nesta and Elain both promised Iyla they would eat a meal and explore more of the house and gardens if Iyla promised to keep the Fae away for the day. Rhys knew how compassionate Iyla could be and he knew she would do anything to keep gentle Elain from sliding back into her comatose state and they both agreed.

The flight back to the Townhouse had been just as exhilarating to Iyla as it had been the day before. The half-Illyrian was thrilled that his mate enjoyed one of his own favorite pastimes. If she accepted the bond, he would promise to fly her whenever she wanted. By the time they landed in the yard of the town house, she was wind blown and had a very healthy glow from her laughter in the air.

When they landed, Iyla had asked Rhys if she could use a change of clothes, he nodded for her to go off with Mor who was standing just inside the patio doors. Mor gave him a look of understanding. The dark haired male mentally made a note to have his cousin purchase Iyla more clothes until she was ready to shop for herself. He would have them delivered into the Lady of Night's room in the House of Wind for Iyla's personal use.