19. Rings

The next day was mainly driving on what seemed to be an endless road, passing through some abandoned small towns along the way. We didn't speak much, Negan was quieter than usual.

We stopped for half an hour, scavenged a house or two, and killed some walkers along the way. Then we headed towards the mountains because there was a shortcut we could take to get to the Commonwealth faster and we needed to avoid the main roads.

While we were driving in silence, my mind went to everything and everyone back in Alexandria. They had no idea what was happening to me and I wondered if anyone from the Sanctuary had informed them I was gone. Daryl would most definitely freak out and go searching. Rick would come to the conclusion that Negan had kidnapped me or something as part of some twisted way to punish him. Carol would carefully curate Negan's assassination. Michonne would figure out a plan to overtake the Sanctuary in the absence of their leader. Judith would cry. Carl would get mad with his angsty teenage boiling blood, given what a hothead he became after Lori passed away. If we did manage to get back in one piece, I'd have a lot of explaining to do.

I missed them. A lot. It was so weird being away from them, the people that became like a real family to me after everything we've been through together. I was so used to being around them that I didn't feel whole when away. But now I had to push these thoughts aside and focus on the impossible mission ahead of us. Being sad wouldn't help.

The road was long and narrow, surrounded by complete nothingness.
I managed to nap a bit and woke up just in time for the sunset. We reached the mountains that we had to cross for the shortcut, entering the forest.

"Good morning, sunshine." Negan chuckled when he saw me opening my eyes slowly. I yawned and stretched. "You're just on time to pick a camping spot."

"Oh." I rubbed my eyes and looked around at the dusk-covered forest. "It can be anywhere where we have cover. There isn't a single person around anyway. Look, a dirt road." I pointed in the distance. It was small, on the right, and could've been easily missed.

"Sharp eye, kiddo." Negan swiftly turned the car onto the dirt road.

The tires cracked on top of the worn-out gravel as we drove ahead. After a couple of minutes, we saw the dark and eerie silhouette of a grand house, surrounded by a fence of brick and decorative wrought iron. Negan whistled with his brows high.

"Jack-fucking-pot." He grinned, scanning the house.

"Isn't it a bit shady?" I asked as I followed him out of the car. The gate was locked with a chain and a padlock, but Negan managed to break the padlock off. The gate creaked creepily and while Negan walked slowly into the unkept yard, I drove the car in and parked it near the entrance of the building. I then closed the gates behind us and looked around the forest to make sure there were no walkers nearby. Or worse. People.

"Get your weapons out." Negan commanded and jogged up the marble steps towards the front door. "Fetch me the crowbar."

I clicked my tongue. Negan turned around to look at me and sighed rolling his eyes.
"Please." He added, agitated.

"That's more like it. A standing ovation for you." I snickered as I opened the trunk and took out the crowbar. He was waiting for me on top of the stairs, impatiently tapping with his heavy boot. As I came closer he snatched the crowbar and forced the door open. We entered the hall quietly and I took in the beauty of the home. It was very nice and expensively done, with lavish art-deco ornaments adorning the walls and ceiling. The air was stale and everything was dusty, which indicated there hadn't been anyone in the home for quite some time. Negan tapped the wall with his bat but not a single growl or any other sound was heard. He turned to me, smiling victoriously.