Part 8

I slammed the front door shut behind me then locked it. I started pacing around the front room then sat down at the chair in the kitchen. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw that I had a bar, i immediately opened my conversation with Dan then paused. I thought back to when I was at Dans old house after we went out on the bayou, the conversation we had. He was talking about a psychic, that's it, a psychic!
I looked down at my phone then began to type "hey babe, I'm going into town for a bit. I'll probably be back after you're done work. Love you" I sent the message, and waited until I was certain it sent this time then made my way for the door.
Ever since I started working I needed my own way of transportation to work, me and Dan went out to a garage sale one weekend and bought an electric scooter. Never in my life had I thought I would actually be on one of these things, but money's tight and it does the job. It's only about a ten minute ride until I get into town, so it's not all that bad.
I sat on my scooter, adjusted my helmet and then set off. I didn't even bother to look around me considering what had just happened minutes ago, I wanted to leave as fast as I could.
As I made my way down the street in downtown New Orleans, I stopped at the side of street and pulled my phone out of my pocket. It's 6:49 and Dan replied with "okay, I love you" I smiled and put my phone back and got off my scooter.
It's easy finding a psychic medium place here, they're almost everywhere. I started walking down the sidewalk and stopped in front of "Bethel's Readings", I let out a deep breath, then entered.
Inside I saw was appeared to be an empty waiting room and a door at the far side of the room, I walked towards what appeared to be the front desk and rang the bell.
A few minutes passed and no one came, I began fidgeting my fingers as I waited impatiently. I grunted and walked towards the door behind the desk, I knocked on the door three times then took a step back.
The door opened and I saw an older lady beacon me to come through, I bit my lip and cautiously made my way into what had to be the strangest room I had ever seen. Beads dangled from the ceiling, books coveted shelves, candles lit all over the room, what appeared to be a human skull on one cabinet, and a small table with two chairs in the centre of the room.
The woman beaconed me to sit down "you know, I'm closed" she said. I apologized and took my seat.
"I need help" I said softly, I folded my hands on the table then looked up to greet the woman's stare, "You're a psychic medium, right?" I asked.
The woman chuckled "I am, what is it you..." The woman stopped talking and drew her attention away from my eyes, she appeared to be starring at something behind me.
I turned myself around but didn't see anything there except a bookcase and a small table with a kettle. I drew my attention back to the physic, a confused look on my face, then she looked back at me in fear "you don't know?" She asked, concern evident in her voice.
"I know that there's been ghosts, it might sound a bit crazy but I've been seeing things and strange things had been happening to me. It stopped though, I got cleansed at a church and nothing happened for four months, until now" I looked down at my hands then back at up her.
"You being here is making very uncomfortable... No priest can cleanse you from this, my dear." The woman started biting her finger nail after she said this, obviously very nervous and bothered.
"I'll leave soon, I just need to know what's going on with me. I need to know what and why." I said alarmingly.
"I've come across this once before, 20 years ago. This man, about the same age as you came to me for help. There was something different about him, the same thing I see in you. He was like a beacon out in the darkness, a beacon for all the spirits and entities." The woman chuckled after she said this then moved her hand over to mine.
"I called it the Wanting, all these spirits wanted nothing more but to take control of his vessel. It didn't matter if he was dead or alive, his vessel was open to them, a much stronger open connection than the ordinary person. It was much easier for the spirits to take a permanent possession in his vessel." The woman clenched my hand softly and tried to crack a faint smile.
I took in a deep breath and started looking around the room, trying to absorb all the information in. She's saying I'm like this man, but why is this all happening to me. "If I'm like him, why? Why is this happening to me?" I questioned.
"I don't know, child. I believe there's a purpose to everything" she chuckled after she said this.
"So everything I've seen, the man at the side of the road, the man by the phone booth, the woman in the bayou and the hospital, they've all been ghosts trying to take possession of me?" I asked.
The woman got up from her seat and walked behind me, I heard her starting he kettle "do you want any tea, dear?" The woman asked, I declined and folded my arms, still trying to process what she was telling me, I wasn't even certain it was true but I had no other explanation to the supernatural things that I've been experiencing.
I pulled my phone out from my pocket but before I was able to turn the phone on I saw the woman behind me, holding a knife in the reflection of the glass. I immediately jolted myself, trying to get out of the chair but the knife struck into my arm.
I screamed and fell sideways off the chair, the woman started walking towards me but I moved my leg up kicking her back against the table with the kettle. The kettle fell from the table and poured steaming hot water on the woman's leg, I heard her scream and cry out, the loud noise piercing my ears.
"You don't understand, it's the only way to make it stop!" The woman screamed out. I lay in shock as the water continued to pour over the woman and floor, I tried kicking and crawling away.
"You need to be killed and burned!" The woman hissed at me as she moved her arm up to the table, trying to pick herself up. "You deserve this, you know. I know what you did!" She screamed.
"I didn't do anything!" I yelled back as I moved my body closer to the other side of the room.
"You killed that young man, he was possessed but you still killed the person inside his body!" The woman yelled as she managed to bring herself back up to her feet, her hands holding the table.
"I was defending myself, he was choking me to death!" I screamed. I reached my hand up to a book case, bringing myself up to my feet as i whimpered from the pain from the free arm. When I got to my feet, I looked down at the pouring blood that went down from my arm. I moved my hand over it trying to stop the bleeding.
"There's a greater evil trying to take possession of you, I can't let them take your body!" The woman yelled as she tried to move herself towards me, her hand clenched tight around the knife.
I started making my way towards the door but was stopped as the door suddenly slammed shut on its own. I stepped back, a confused look came over my face and I looked back at the woman, shock evident in her face.
"It's starting!" She yelled. She started lunging towards me and I tried pushing her back but she fell on top of me. I started kicking and moving away from her frightening body, I screamed and quickly jolted my leg towards me as I saw her attempt to stab my leg, she missed and the blade went in the door board.
I quickly brought myself to my feet as I leaned against the table beside me, my breathing started going out of control. The woman screamed and started crawling towards me, the knife in her hand stabbing the floor as she pulled herself closer towards me. I started to move backwards and noticed the chair beside the table, i immediately grabbed hold of it, picking it up I swung it against the woman.
She screamed and I saw blood escaping her back where the chair leg struck her, I started screaming and striking her again with the chair. Blood covered the remaining legs of the chair and floor around her body, I started breathing heavy and fell to the ground when I didn't hear her making any more noises. I sat and shook in fear as I looked over at her motionless body. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and started crying as I dialed Dans number.