Part 10

"Nadine, you home!?" Roseanne yelled. I couldn't believe I was hearing her voice, I immediately got to my feet and started to run towards the front door. As I approached the door I quickly unlocked it and swung the door open.
"Nad, what happened to you!? And what's going on with that totaled truck in your driveway!?" Roseanne said as she looked me over in concern.
"I need your help, it's Dan, he fell down the stairs in the basement and the door won't open!" I yelled as I grabbed Roseanne's hand, pulling her inside. I started wiping the tears away from my face as we made our way towards the basement door.
Roseanne tried to open the door but it wouldn't budge, I started yelling to Dan but he wouldn't respond. "Is there a window or anything we can get down there?" Roseanne said as she continued to pull at the door handle.
"Yes, there's a small window at the side of the house" I said as we started to run towards the back door. As we were outside running to the side of the house, Roseanne asked me what had happened. I just looked at her and shook my head, I didn't even know where to start.
As we approached the window Roseanne told motioned her hand for me to step back "you're pregnant, there's no way you should be going down here through a window. Did you try calling 911 already?"
"Dan already tried calling but he had no service, the landline phone is in the basement" I started moving my hands down to my pockets after I said this, but my phone wasn't there. "My phone must have fallen out of my pocket in the truck" I said, wiping another tear away from my face as Roseanne struggled to open the window.
Roseanne pulled her phone out of her pocket and handed it back to me, "use mine" she said as she finally opened the window all the way.
I watched as Roseanne made her way through the window and heard a clink as her shoes hit the basement floor, I drew my attention back to the phone and started dialling 911.
"He's not here!" Roseanne said as he walked back towards the window, I moved my head down and looked at her confused.
"That doesn't make any sense, did you look at the bottom of the steps?" I yelled in concern.
"Yes, nothing" Roseanne said, shaking her head in confusion.
I sighed as I began to move myself through the window, it was a tight fit but I made it in. Roseanne helped me, "you shouldn't be doing this" she said in concern. "Where's the phone?" Roseanne said as he looked down at my hands.
"Oh, shit I must have left it outside the window" I said, concern on my face as I glanced back towards the window.
"Dan!" I called out as I walked towards the bottom of the stairs, it was very dark in the basement, and the only light that was coming in was from the window. "We need light, the light switch is over there" I said as I motioned towards the wall across the dark room. Roseanne nodded and began walking towards it.
I became more and more uncomfortable and made my way back towards the window, so I was in the light again. I scanned around the darkness of the room for Roseanne and Dan. "Dan, Roseanne!" I called out. I didn't get any response and why hasn't Roseanne turned the lights on yet?
I narrowed my eyes as I looked in the direction of the light switch, I couldn't make out Roseanne in the darkness.
I saw something move, I didn't know what it was but I started slowly taking steps across the room in the direction of the switch. Each step slower and slower as I squinted again, trying to make out what I was looking at across the room.
"Roseanne is that you?" I asked out softly, the room started getting ice cold. I looked around me confused as I started to shiver and hold my arms together.
The lights in the basement started to flicker back to life. A smile rose on my face as I stood still looking at the ceiling, that smile immediately turned to shock when I drew my attention back towards the light switch. I saw Roseanne standing, but behind her was Dan holding a knife in her chest.
I stood still in shock trying to process what I was looking at. Roseanne was coughing blood and pointing behind me towards the window. I looked up to meet Dan's stare, he appeared to be smiling and laughing to himself. This isn't Dan.
I began stepping backwards as tears fell down my face, I was unable to cry or make any noises. I remained in utter shock as Dan started moving the knife around in Roseanne's back, when I moved my attention back up to Dan he just smiled and winked back at me. I turned around and quickly ran to grab a step ladder, not far from the window. I moved back to the window placing it down and started climbing up to the window, I heard Roseanne's body hit the ground and started to panic even more as I tried to pull myself out the window.
I started pulling myself through the window as fast as I could, but wasn't quick enough. I felt a piercing pain in my leg, I looked back and saw Dan standing behind the window holding the knife into my leg. I started to scream as Dan pressed the knife in harder, I started to squirm but it only made the knife move more in my leg, making me scream louder.
I turned around again and drew my attention back to Dan's face, his face was now full of anger and hatred as he looked at me. I knew this wasn't him, this wasn't the Dan I know.
I pushed my leg out against Dan's face as hard as I could, kicking him back. I screamed and swore as Dan pulled the knife out as he started to fall backwards, he must have been standing on the step ladder because it didn't take long for him to lose balance and fall backwards. I screamed as I pulled my body out of the window, pulling my leg out with my arm.
"Get back here you fucking bitch!" Dan screamed this at me from the basement. I quickly tried to bring myself up to my feet as I started limping away from the house. I wanted to go as far away from the house as I possibly could, but it became clear to me fast that Dan would easily be able to track me with the blood coming from my leg.
I started running back towards the front of the house, each step I took hurt more than the previous one.
I paused as I heard a faint sound of sirens, without a second of hesitation I began moving my body towards the road, limping, bleeding, and crying along the way.