Part 9

chapter 10

Dan tried to figure out what had happened and at first I tried to sob out my story, but my throat ached too much to continue. I could see disbelief and confusion in his eyes.
I felt like a monster and like my whole world was ending and there was nothing I could do about it.
I had managed to call Dan to come and get me, my voice shaking so bad he had me repeat the address a few times before he finally got it. I found my way to the back door in a daze and sank to the ground in the psychic's back yard.
Dan found me, and brought me home. He guided me to the bathroom and carefully helped me out of my clothes. I fell limply into his arms and he lifted me up and gently placed me into the bath. He ran the water and stroked my hair, whispering sweet things as he ran a cloth over my skin. The entire time I didn't show any emotion, I felt broken and wounded. I didn't want to keep going, to keep living. I knew this wouldn't stop until I was gone and there was nothing left of me.
Dan turned the water off. "Wait here babe, I'm going to get you some fresh clothes," Dan kissed my forehead and left. I sat in the tub watching blankly as the water drops trickle down the walls. I began crying and shaking, sobs wracking my body. Dan came into the room again, fresh clothes tucked under his arm. He set the clothes aside and knelt down to my level, hugging my wet form. He brought me to my feet as he wrapped a towel around me. I snuggled into his arms and he carried me in his arms to our bedroom. As soon as he laid me on the bed I fell into a restless sleep.
When I woke up Dan was nowhere in sight. I got out of bed slowly, and unsteadily got to my feet. I knew what I had to do. I couldn't subject Dan to taking care of me every time this happened. I headed out of the room and walked to the front door. Dan's truck keys lay on the cupboard and I reached for them. I was out the front door and in the truck before I knew it. I couldn't remember getting there. The keys were in the ignition, the truck already humming with life.

"Hey! Where are you going!?" I heard Dan's muffled yell as he ran out the front door towards the truck. I fumbled for the lock, my hands unsteady, but Dan already had the passenger's door open. He got in beside me and shut the door, shooting me a confused look.
"What the hell are you doing Nadine?"
"Dan, I have to go. You're not safe around me and I can't do this anymore," I sobbed, wishing that he would get out. I loved him too much. I couldn't let him get hurt because of me.
"You don't even drive" Dan pointed out. I just shook my head and wouldn't look him in the eye. He rested his hand on my leg and whispered in my ear. "Babe, I love you and you are not going through this alone. What ever happens... I will be by your side." Dan wiped away the tears that started trickling down his cheeks. I could feel his heart aching for me. I started crying harder an he pulled me into his arms. My sobs were muffled by his shirt that was already soaked with my tears.
"I don't know what to do" I sobbed as I wrapped my damp arms around Dan's neck. There were a few moments of quiet except for the sound of my sobs. The sound of tires rolling against gravel made me push away from Dan, looking quizzically out of the window, watching as our house began to shrink out of view.
"What the hell!?" I hissed, my foot slamming on the brakes. Nothing happened. I pressed down on it desperately, again and again.
"Nadine the emergency brake!" Dan shouted, desperation in his voice as the truck began to speed up. I started hyperventilating. Where the fuck is the emergency brake? Dan shoved me back against my seat and reached across me, pulling the lever I had been searching for. The truck came to a grinding halt, and both of us went flying forwards.
I screamed in shock, my head hitting the staring wheel and then flying back into my head rest. I felt sick and things started spinning.
"Babe, are you ok!?" Dan's frightened voice echoed through my mind and I resurfaced to the real world.
"We have to get out," I coughed, a massive headache already taking over my brain.
I moved my hands over the door handle and tried to open the door but it wouldn't budge. I started to panic as I shoved at the door in desperation.
"Mine won't fucking open either!" Dan shouted, throwing himself against the door.

Suddenly the truck began to move backwards yet again, this time faster than it did before. My body flung forward and I tried to move myself back to my seat, "I thought you pulled the emergency break!" I screamed.
"I fucking did, the wheels aren't even moving!" Dan yelled as he tried to move himself over to me. I could hear the tires rubbing against the driveway, I brought myself back up to my seat and moved my hands to the steering wheel. As I began moving the steering wheel the truck began to swerve, I started screaming as I tried moving the truck back again but it was no use, the truck swerved and tipped over on its side. Glass started shattering around my body as the truck began to slide on its side, I screamed as a shard of glass went in my hand.
The truck stopped sliding and I reached my arm up to the steering wheel to bring myself up, I screamed and moved my hand over my stomach. I moved my shirt up and noticed no blood, I held my hand still for a moment and felt a kick, a sigh of relief came over me and Dan started coughing, I immediately drew my attention back towards him as I moved myself towards his body.
Dan had some blood on his forehead and arm but I couldn't see any glass sticking out, that's a good sign. "Are you okay?" I asked Dan as I moved my body closer to his, he nodded back at me and motioned for me to move back. Dan moved his foot over the broken passenger window, moving glass away as he began to move his body out. Once he was out he moved his arms inside and grabbed hold of me, pulling me out gently.
"Are you alright, babe" Dan said this as he moved his hands around my body, I looked into his eyes and nodded. He hugged me tight and we started making our way towards the house, I stopped and turned around to face the truck, at the corner of my eye in the distance I saw a figure. I clenched my hand tight around Dans, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped open in fear. I was looking directly at the man who was there in the back seat when my sister died.
Dan kept walking towards the house, moving me with him as I held his hand tight. "Let's just get in the house, we need to check each other closer and call an ambulance..." Dan said as he moved my closer towards the front door. I tried screaming but no words came out, I shook myself and broke free from Dans grip.
"What's wrong?" Dan said as he paused, looking at me in concern. I moved my lips but no words came out, I moved my eyes back to the figure and pointed out towards him. He started walking closer towards us, I could make out his facial features and he looked fucking pissed.
"Oh shit!" Dan said as he looked towards him, the figure kept getting closer towards us as his pace started to pick up. I felt Dan grab my arm as we started running towards the front door.
As we got in the house, Dan immediately locked the front door shut and he made our way into the kitchen. I sat down at the table and watched Dan as he paced around the room dialling '911'.
"Fuck!" Dan yelled as he threw his phone across the room. "No service, I know we should've went with Verizon".
"We're not safe here" I said as I fidgeted my fingers.
"I know, let's go to the basement. I think I saw a landline phone down there once!" Dan said hopefully.
"I think you're right" I said as I got up off my seat and made my way towards Dan, he moved his hand in with mine as we quickly made our way towards the basement door.
Dan opened the door and motioned for me to go first, before I was able to walk down the steps I paused as I heard something drop in the living room beside me, i turned myself around and looked in the room but saw nothing out of the ordinary. I screamed as the basement door suddenly slammed shut behind me, "Dan!" I screamed as I started slamming my hands against the door.
I moved my hand down to the door handle but it wouldn't budge, I could hear Dans body falling down the basement steps, each slam harder than the one before. I continued to scream as I tried opening the door but it wouldn't move, not even an inch. "Dan, are you okay!?" I screamed as I bashed my hands against the door again. "Say something!" I yelled, I couldn't hear anything coming from the basement and I started shaking in fear.
I took a step back as I heard a distorted voice coming from the kitchen, it sounded loud but I couldn't make out the words. "Stay the fuck away from me, you won't have me you little fuckers!" I screamed as I started to run in the opposite direction towards my bedroom.
I slammed the door shut behind me and started to cry as I fell down to my knees, I stopped crying and breathed for a moment as I heard knocking at my front door.