prologue

____________________

october 31st 1981 — godrics hollow

The night was windy and rainy. Throughout the streets showed children running around, laughter filling the air.

Oblivious to the horrors that were about to take place at the house at the end of the street.

Having no clue about the circumstances between the family of four. How within the night, the two toddlers would be orphaned, and two parents would be dead.

Lily Potter was thinking about these thoughts as she stared outside the window watching as a young lady — the same age as Lily — held her daughter's hand as they crossed the street whilst eating sweets. Before looking at the woman's son running beside her. Wishing so desperately that could be her instead of watching it all happen from afar.

Halloween was a great day for the Potter family — last year it was one of the best days of the year and made it a tradition for them to celebrate. It was their favourite day — her daughter hope' especially.

The girl had been in the happiest mood after a fortnight of crying, they only had one answer for the sudden change of mood.

She knew it was Halloween.

Sadly this year they couldn't celebrate but just watch outside as the muggles enjoy their night.

She wished to go to the small park, or the corner shop, even the muggle bus stop down the road.

Of course, she didn't know this at the time, that she would never get to go to any of those places. That she would never be able to give her children sweets and of course their uncle moonys chocolate — that only they are allowed to have.

"okay Hopey, I'm thinking of a colour," James told his daughter, looking down at the young girl on his lap lovingly. She stared up at her father, her wide-doe hazel eyes peering into his own, "Come on Hopey, you can do it! What colour is daddy thinking of?"

Hope Marlene Potter stares up at her dad for a moment before mumbles out, ". . red!"

James lets out a giddy laugh as he holds her in his hands before lifting her in the air, the toddlers giggles filling the room, before he takes hold of her again and places her back on his lap.

"That's right! Well done Hopey." James says with a large smile on his face as he looks down at his daughter. She has Lily's female face structure with his hazel eyes but with what it seemed to be Lily's blonde— light strawberry blonde hair but with his curls.

She smiles back at him, letting out the same giddy laugh as he did, waving her arms up in the air frantically.

They play a few more rounds before Lily looks over from the window down to her oldest son who is sitting comfortably on the sofa next to her, resting his head on her shoulder in contempt. He is looking though a picture book laughing at any of the images he finds funny whilst waving it in his mothers face.